Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 headlights any good?

Robertb

Yas Marina
On the facelift cars, are the standard headlights any good or are litronics essential?

If a car did not have litronics, is it possible to upgrade to the factory kit, or is there a good aftermarket alternative?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 118536

Litronics (Xenon) are serious improvement to driving at night, I wouldn't choose a car without them.

There are HID kits available for the Porsche. I'm sure those that have had this done will be along shortly.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 118544

Excuse my ignorance but how do I find out what lights my car has? (2002 C2) It's got great lights and I'm happy with them.

My last car (Honda s2000) had HID lights which cast a very clear 'beam line' whereas the lights I have now are not as defined. They don't seem to warm up either, ie get a bit brighter as you switch them on for the first second or so. Are these Litronics?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 118632

Robert The standard lights in my old 996 Targa (2002 Face lifted) were terrible. I was quoted £1800 by OPC to retro fit Xenons and £400 by Autofarm to put in a HID kit. I went the HID route and they were very good. I know that quite a few people on here have fitted their own HID's at a cost of c£200

Migration info. Legacy thread was 118641

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Robertb on 18 February 2007

On the facelift cars, are the standard headlights any good or are litronics essential?

If a car did not have litronics, is it possible to upgrade to the factory kit, or is there a good aftermarket alternative?
mine does not have any xenons and are not great at night, not quite 993 awful but when you've tried xenons there is no going back !

funny you should mention this but I was thinking of getting a company to offer afetr market kits at a deal price on the site, so hang in there if you're interested

xenons are an easy add on

Rawhide, are you headlamps that normal yellow/orange glow that turn on instantly or a blinding clear white/blue light that takes a few seconds to fire up

Migration info. Legacy thread was 118642

I would be interested in this HID deal Sundeep!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 118647

Re HIDs...

Is it possible that if you came up against an overzealous MOT bloke that a car might fail on having aftermarket HIDs without self-levelling?

Nonetheless, defo interested in a group HIDs buy!

Oddly, I find the Xenons in my BMW E46 3 very good, but other road users hate them, but so what, everyone hates BMW drivers anyway :(
The ones in my Audi don't seem to have quite the 'reach' (they seem to be set lower vs the BMW) but I never get hassle from fellow motorists.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 118657

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Rawhide on 19 February 2007

Excuse my ignorance but how do I find out what lights my car has? (2002 C2) It's got great lights and I'm happy with them.

My last car (Honda s2000) had HID lights which cast a very clear 'beam line' whereas the lights I have now are not as defined. They don't seem to warm up either, ie get a bit brighter as you switch them on for the first second or so. Are these Litronics?
Xenons (or Litronics in Porsche-speak) usually flicker in quite a noticeable way when switched on, and burn with a much brighter bluer/whiter light.

I'd have thought there would be various warnings about high voltage in the headlamps area under the front lid if you had Xenons.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 118661

Check for the presence of headlight washers, no levelling control in the car and a bluey tint to your lights.....all indications of Litronics.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 118664

Robert, I was a bit anxious when the Targa went in for it's MOT after having the Hids fitted but no problem. The guy at Autofarm did take a fair bit of time ensuring that they would not cause a issue.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 118665

when my car went for it's MOT they were just interested to know that the lights were correctly level and nothing else

Migration info. Legacy thread was 118679

Thanks guys.. guess I don't have them then :( Either way they're ok for me for now.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 118680

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Dave on 19 February 2007

Robert, I was a bit anxious when the Targa went in for it's MOT after having the Hids fitted but no problem. The guy at Autofarm did take a fair bit of time ensuring that they would not cause a issue.
Thanks Dave, Autofarm are not too far away, I'll give them a shout if I move to the water cooled dark side (another test drive booked this pm!)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 118707

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Robertb on 19 February 2007

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Dave on 19 February 2007

Thanks Dave, Autofarm are not too far away, I'll give them a shout if I move to the water cooled dark side (another test drive booked this pm!)

If? Surely you mean when? :wink:

What are you testing this pm?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 118708

Another C4S, a 2002, Lapis blue... very nice it was too... The force is strong with this one! :wink:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 118789

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gpc
Back