Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

eight and a half weeks

Dunc

Barcelona
Not hollywood softcore i'm afraid but how long my car was with the OPC. After two false dawns of 'your car is ready for collection' when it was far from it, i finally saw the orange car again as it was delivered to the house about an hour and a half late yesterday."See i told you that we had another car" i proclaimed to the missus as we were starting to think that the 3 had become a thing of myth, so long has it been away.Took the car for a good run out to the green wellie at tyndrum which has a good mix of fast sweepers and twisty bits not to mention the numerous coaches and 7.5tonne trucks (mobile chicanes). So i'm running in a new 3rd gear, 3rd & 4th synchros, new MAF, new accelerator cable and a new battery - the fruits of an 8 week wait.

Road conditons were cold and mildly damp, then wet then back to damp again - not the optimum conditions for grip from my semi'slicks but hey them's the brakes. So it was a moderately spirited pace from the car with only a few full rev blasts and mostly 5k changes for fear of breaking traction. Front end understeery in the slippy conditions and washing slightly wide when chucking it round. Took me about 1hr 10mins to get up there (traffic) and about 55mins to get back (still some traffic) and used the best part of £20 of Shell's finest for my troubles.

Gearshift is now toight (said in the style of goldmember) and feels good. Power delivery is also correct again but the throttle pedal is 'sticky' at about the 60% mark and requires a little extra prod to get to full - not terribly desirable for modulating throttle on exits. Had some grumbles from the TC system as well (it'll be the rear tyre pressures no doubt) so disabled that and the car regained its rev manners. Brakes not quite what they should be and the trackday i've got coming up will be the end of them, certainly the front discs and pads.

The car is not a comfortable companion in these conditions, skitting about, one arm wrestling with the wheel over bumps when you're changing gear, brakes wanting to lock up occasionally...... then you catch up with the 60mph traffic and realise that at 'normal' speed it's actually really easy to pilot and can be used as a torque machine in fifth with the occasional drop down for tighter bends. Almost, dare i say, comfortable and sedate. Then you get bored and smash past them with a howl and switch back into super concentrated skiddy, bouncy potential death trap. Great fun!

Destination ended up being totally dreich which is scottish for pretty feckin awful but did take one pic by running out clicking then running back into the car!

/images/migration/UploadedForumImages/DSC00361.JPG

Migration info. Legacy thread was 117620

good to hear you've got it back , oh the joy of getting back your mistress

are you on MPSC or R888's

regards

Migration info. Legacy thread was 117623

Actually, i'm on the no longer available but highly rated Dunlop SSRs. They were a similar budget to the R888s and i presume that these will be my next choice.

They look a bit like a wet slick in tread pattern. They're ok in the wet but not exactly confidence inspiring - in saying that i've not had them properly break away yet.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 117625

Glad to hear you got her back Dunc! Did you change the synchros for the steel ones or stay with the brass ones? Did you change anything else while you were in there?

SSRs were decent tyres in the wet compared to others. R888s are in a different league, however, in the dry and quite comparable in the wet.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 117660

Kept it bog std as the warranty work was more straightforwward, so it's a couple of fresh brass synchros and a new 3rd gear set.

I've got two sets of wheels both wearing SSRs, R888s next time i think

Migration info. Legacy thread was 117679

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GT3161
Back