Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 Sports Exhaust Sound....

Steve Conway

Hello all, I have recently read an article where a gentleman unplugged some sort of sensor from the 996 Exhaust which then gave it the oppertunity to 'HOWL' like a sports exhaust throught the lower rev bands. Since I am contemplating an exhaust upgrade, I was thinking about doing the deed........just to see what the full roar was like to live with.

Anybody got any thoughts/recommendations??

Thanks again.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 117598

I think you are refering to a modification to the Porsche Sports Exhaust. If you have a PSE fitted then between 25mph ish and 40 the exhaust will default back to "quiet mode" even if switched to loud mode. This is so it passes some of the European countries MOT type test. If you have a PSE a diode can be removed from the relay to stop this happening-hence loud exhaust setting is on throughout the rev range (it can still be switched to quiet mode using the button on the dash). If your current exhaust is standard then non of this applies and your exhaust is as it is!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 117602

Sounds like an essential mod to me!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 117603

an essential mod indeed, nothing worse that going quiet at 30mph. (its was from 30-44mph, regardless of revs).

rather than play with the relays etc, i got the valves clamped open all the time. a crude but effective solution. I don't have the switch so it was always 'on' anyway. Dave i think got the relay mod done.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 117608

It is the thing I miss most about my 996 Targa. It did sound great.

The howl you can certainly live with although your neighbours may not like it if you have early morning starts. You also attract a lot more attention which has it good and bad points.

Edited I actually had a mod done so that I could

a)Have it quiet all the time

b)Have it loud all the time

c)Have it on the default of going quiet at 31mph and loud again at 44mph.

I quite liked c) Poodling along at 35 - 40 fairly quiet and inconspicuous and then nailing it with an immensly satisfying howl.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 117609

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Dave on 15 February 2007

Edited I actually had a mod done so that I could
a)Have it quiet all the time

b)Have it loud all the time

c)Have it on the default of going quiet at 31mph and loud again at 44mph.

I quite liked c) Poodling along at 35 - 40 fairly quiet and inconspicuous and then nailing it with an immensly satisfying howl.
bmi_SafeAddOnload(bmi_load,"bmi_orig_img");//-->
var SymRealOnLoad;
var SymRealOnUnload;
function SymOnUnload()
{
window.open = SymWinOpen;
if(SymRealOnUnload != null)
SymRealOnUnload();
}
function SymOnLoad()
{
if(SymRealOnLoad != null)
SymRealOnLoad();
window.open = SymRealWinOpen;
SymRealOnUnload = window.onunload;
window.onunload = SymOnUnload;
}
SymRealOnLoad = window.onload;
window.onload = SymOnLoad;
//-->
EErrrmmm, since I love the flat 6 sound over the poor sound system, I think I fancy it being open all the time. How did you get the mod done?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 117622

Parr of Crawley put a bypass switch in for me for abot £150 IIRC.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 117626

Cool- two switches to control the exhaust!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 117651

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Robertb on 15 February 2007

Cool- two switches to control the exhaust!
Yep I had a fully switchable switchable exhaust. The Porsche fitted switch was between the PSM and rear wiper switches. Parr put their bypass switch beneath the aircon display. It was a very neat job!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 117654

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WilmslowSi
Back