Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

test drove a 996 C4S today...

Robertb

Yas Marina
I had a test drive in a 996 C4S 6sp today... very nice it was too!

My current thinking is to sell my Alpina B3S daily driver, and the 993 Targa, and just have the C4S which I can use come rain or shine for my 80 mile each way commute and the odd mad half hour. I really love the 993, but can't really justify having two cars for me.

I especially loved the PSE :)
, and the car was very civilised yet characterful.

However, on the test drive I drove it through quite a reasonable puddle (but by no means the sort of puddle you'd normally slow for) going across the road and it felt quite unstable which surprised me given psm, 4wd et al. I looked at the tyres, and the fronts were down to the wear indicators, and the rears were fine. Do other C4S owners find them good in the wet, or is it a sign of something out of sorts?

Anyone else made the switch from 993 to 996 C4S or other 996 derivative? Has it been worth the extra outlay on balance?

Any comments gratefully recieved...

Migration info. Legacy thread was 117050

Oh dear, looks like another one being lost to the dark wet side :roll:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 117055

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Robertb on 13 February 2007

Anyone else made the switch from 993 to 996 C4S or other 996 derivative? Has it been worth the extra outlay on balance?

Any comments gratefully recieved...
Daz did exactly that - I'm sure he'll be around soon to comment.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 117067

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Ghost on 13 February 2007

Its by no means a done deal! Its just Mrs B said why not consider p-xing both cars for a newer 911 so it seemed rude not to look into it...

I love the 993, and an option for me is to spend a bit of cash upgrading the suspension, interior and using it daily instead. But Mrs B is not convinced of my safety in what she percieves to be an old car.

Thus I'm happy to be advised either way!

Maybe we should have a 911uk reality TV style phone-in...

Migration info. Legacy thread was 117072

4wd isn't a cure for aquaplaning, bald fronts certainly don't help in this situation. You need plenty of tread to help 'clear the path' for the big 295 rears. With decent fronts you'll have no worries even on PZero Corsa N6s.

What tyres was the C4S running? What mileage has the car covered as it might be on it's original front tyres.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 117073

I didn't notice what make the tyres were- the rears looked quite new.

The car has done 28k miles

Migration info. Legacy thread was 117161

Previous poster said:

well you started it !!

much bigger those 996's arent they Robert !

Migration info. Legacy thread was 117164

I suppose I went the other way :?

I used to run a 996 as a daily driver but found I needed the rear seats more often than I thought I would, then found that sometimes I needed to go to a meeting without looking 'flash'.

So I went for a diesel burner as a daily driver and a GT3 as a toy / hack / whenever I don't need to be sensible :D

As others have posted - when the weather's bad or you just want to 'dress down' it's useful having something that no one looks at :)

Philip

Migration info. Legacy thread was 117185

Hi,

Cannot recommend the 996 C4S enough. Best purchase decision on a car I have ever made.

Certainy a more modern cabin feel in the 996 over the 993. With regards to safety I test drove mine in absoute shocking conditions. Serious rain and surface water. Absoutey rock solid. I have Conti's all round. Been in some deep surface water no probem at all. So probably down to the fronts not clearing for the rears as previousy stated and the lack forward tyre contact.

I have a Toyota Yaris as my run around for work, C4S is weekend and occasional work use. If I was happy with the safety of my work parking, probably sell the Yaris!

Don't think you wil be disappointed with the C4S which is the most aggressive looking and clean line 996. i.e the turbo air intakes in my opinion spoil the lines.

Enjoy the hunt.

Alan

Migration info. Legacy thread was 117244

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Sundeep on 13 February 2007

Previous poster said:

well you started it !!
Eh? Not me massa!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 117319

Robert, for what it's worth, coming from a die hard 993 blinkered perspective, I LOVE the 996 C4S. If you're gonna go to the wet side, that's one damn fine machine to do it with.

Good luck with it all!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 117325

Another shocker...

Just rang the Insurance co re the Insurance- I just paid £441 to cover the 993 for a year on a 5k miles basis. The total premium for a 996C4S, unlimited miles, is £551 which seems very reasonable, and far cheaper than the Alpina B3S!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 117334

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Robertb on 14 February 2007
Another shocker...
Just rang the Insurance co re the Insurance- I just paid £441 to cover the 993 for a year on a 5k miles basis. The total premium for a 996C4S, unlimited miles, is £551 which seems very reasonable, and far cheaper than the Alpina B3S!

You know it makes sense :wink:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 117337

I have never had any problems in the wet - always planted, sounds like the fronts were the problem.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 117341

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Robertb on 13 February 2007

I especially loved the PSE :)
, and the car was very civilised yet characterful.

I'm sure this option is the C4S trump card on a test drive. Makes the car so much more exciting IMHO. Shame they dont do the same on the TT

cheers

Migration info. Legacy thread was 117478

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Timjar
Back