Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Hello!

tomb

Hi all,

I'm new here but you all seem like a friendly bunch! :)
I'm currently looking to replace my Peugeot 306 GTI-6 with either an Elise 111R or a '88/'89 3.2 Carrera Supersport. Can anyone shed some light on the obvious buyers traps of this model (the Porsche, that is :wink: ) and what price I can expect to pay for a good one?

Right, I'm off to browse this forum for more info...

Cheers,

tom

Migration info. Legacy thread was 114541

greetings

Migration info. Legacy thread was 114542

Hello there, and welcome!

There have been some good buyers guide books written about 3.2s. Bear in mind even the newest ones will be 20yrs old, so expect some cosmetic repair to have been done, and quite a few miles, and owners, even at 5000 miles a year.

The engines are v strong, look for a full service history, but if its done loads of miles, it might need some work on the top end of the engine. Bodywork is galvanised, so rust minimised but there are some rust traps.

I'd say £12-13k+ will buy you a nice car, and up to £18-20k for a minter.

When you find a likely car, get it inspected by an expert, e.g Phil Raby or Peter Morgan. £250-300 well spent IMO.

The current 911 and Porsche World mag has a 3.2 buyers guide oddly enough.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 114563

Hi tomb

Good choice the 3.2 supersport :wink:
rock solid if you get a good one.

As Robertb said... get it inspected, they are getting on a bit.

A bit slower than the anorexic 3.2... but you can live with that by just looking at the wide hips in your mirrors.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 114571

Hi Tomb 15-20k for a good one.

Good luck.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 114805

Sorry also full service history and engine rebuild if boat loads of miles.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 114806

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by tomb on 04 February 2007

Hi all,

I'm new here but you all seem like a friendly bunch! :)
I'm currently looking to replace my Peugeot 306 GTI-6 with either an Elise 111R or a '88/'89 3.2 Carrera Supersport. Can anyone shed some light on the obvious buyers traps of this model (the Porsche, that is :wink: ) and what price I can expect to pay for a good one?
Welcome Tom. If it wasn't for the hips that Nicola so eloquently refers to, I'd have gone for a run of the mill (Sports or SE) 3.2. Supposed to be bullet proof all be it getting on a bit now (subject) to all the checks recommended above.

Inspections are essential as they can be expensive to put right if you are not in the know ....... and thats not how you want your owenrship experience to start.

I think all the shells on the 3.2 were galavanised but some components like the bumpers are aluminium so do corrode. Buyers guide will reveal all.

At least you can get in a Porsche which is more than one can say for a Lotus.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 114809

Hi Tom

Good choice. The best looking one IMO.....but then I'm biased..... :wink:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 114814

Hello Tomb, and welcome!........Good choice of car!....As Anthony says, don't discount a 'normal' 3.2 Sport!....They still have 'hips' - not quite as wide, granted, but lovely all the same!!........Whatever you eventually find - You will love driving an Icon!!.......Happy hunting!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 114826

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Max V
Back