Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Total oil loss 997 C2S 04 54 19K

carlos seton-smith

Today I had the pleasure of my 997 dumping all of it's oil, When I pulled up @ the traffic lights there was an odd sound as if a fan belt was flaping around in the engine bay? so I pulled into a side road for inspection on tickover, there was no sign of any loose belts or oil so I switched off sat in & phoned the RAC.

Whilst reading the daily mail waiting for the man in the van, the kids started to kick out of school, as they walked past my shiny 911 they all seemed to be pointing not @ my car but towards the wheels with large grins on there faces saying I had struck oil.

It's a good job I had pulled in as my Mobil One was now lubricating the Road no longer the 3.8. The car has now been recovered to my local Porsche Centre who say they can't look @ this problem "what ever it may be" for a few days possibly next week? I have owned over twenty 911's & never had a serious problem this is the second time my 997 has been recovered the last being the gear linkage which was covered on the very last day of the two year warranty.

Has any other 997 owners had a similar problem?????????????

P.S. The oil seemed to be coming from the centre of the rear Axal & forgive my spelling :?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 113208

I've personally heard of one similar incident, the prognosis wasn't good however.....failure of the intermediate seal or rear main seal and bearings. Resulting in a new engine.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 113211

could be an RMS, thankfully covered under a warranty

shame on the OPC for not looking at it straight away

Migration info. Legacy thread was 113245

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Sundeep on 30 January 2007
could be an RMS, thankfully covered under a warranty
shame on the OPC for not looking at it straight away

Your typical RMS problem will not result in total oil loss. Complete and catastrophic failure of the seal might but it's more than likely going to point at something else.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 113273

8l of oil on the road is not good at all. Your OPC don't sound particularly helpful given the potential size of the problem. Have you asked them "nicely" to get their arses in gear?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 113320

could be a faulty oil filter ?

which is a easy fix

Migration info. Legacy thread was 113324

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Sundeep on 30 January 2007

could be a faulty oil filter ?

which is a easy fix
Maybe thats why the OPC aren't rushing. Would be good news! Lets hope.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 113338

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by So Poo on 30 January 2007
Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Sundeep on 30 January 2007could be a faulty oil filter ?
which is a easy fix
Maybe thats why the OPC aren't rushing. Would be good news! Lets hope.[/i:qBLkzvML4j]

They're probably waiting for a technician from Porsche GB or AG to arrive.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 113366

It has been confirmed that my large oil leak is down to failure of the intermediate seal & will need a new engine £21k + VAT + labour= oh no, my OPC has requested that I bring in my history as so they can speak to Porsche UK as it may well be done as a good will gesture ??????????

OH F##K! I do hope so. When the car was droped off one of the sales guys sugested it may be the intermediate seal & this happens all the time inc Boxters & would be done as a recall, don't worry "by the way the car is out of warrenty"

Has anyone heard of an out of warrenty 996, 997 or Boxter being delt with this way??

HELP! :(

Migration info. Legacy thread was 113464

Just reminds me why I will be so pleased to hand over my 900 quid when the warranty is due for renewal ! Scary stuff, specially as my car is the same age & model.

Just PM'ed you mate

Migration info. Legacy thread was 113476

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by carlos seton-smith on 30 January 2007

Has anyone heard of an out of warrenty 996, 997 or Boxter being delt with this way??

Yep - by all accounts it has happened in the past. People get all sorts of things done in years 3-5 for free. After that you have no chance. Keep your fingers crossed!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 113486

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by sTTu on 30 January 2007

Just reminds me why I will be so pleased to hand over my 900 quid when the warranty is due for renewal ! Scary stuff, specially as my car is the same age & model.

Just PM'ed you mate
I'll second that!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 113488

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by carlos seton-smith on 30 January 2007
It has been confirmed that my large oil leak is down to failure of the intermediate seal & will need a new engine £21k + VAT + labour= oh no, my OPC has requested that I bring in my history as so they can speak to Porsche UK as it may well be done as a good will gesture ??????????
OH F##K! I do hope so. When the car was droped off one of the sales guys sugested it may be the intermediate seal & this happens all the time inc Boxters & would be done as a recall, don't worry "by the way the car is out of warrenty"

Really sorry to hear this. It's never good to hear of incidents like this. Fingers-crossed on a suitable gesture from Porsche GB.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 113491

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
robertcloftus
Back