Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997 body facelift/mods for 996 !!!

Rob STEW

Spa-Francorchamps
Has anyone had experience with any of the suppliers ??

Take a look at:-

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/124988.htm to see the Hamann

I had emailed morris ad advert in Porsche mag in France and never got reply?

Comments

Migration info. Legacy thread was 110625

a few of the tuners do the conversion as well, cant say that many folk get this done

iirc there was a piece on this on an issue of Total 911 last year

Migration info. Legacy thread was 110638

What's the point? If you take a 996 worth £25k to £30k - then spend £15k doing it right - you end up with a car that OWES you ££40k to £45k - but is WORTH £30k still.

Surely better to save the pennies and buy a 997 when the price comes down?

The practice of 'modernising' 911's is not a new one - I went to look at a '73 Targa, for a friend, that had been 'updated' to look like a '83 Turbo Targa - the car is worth less than a quarter of what an unmodified '73 Targa would be :?

Just my happeneth.

Philip

Migration info. Legacy thread was 110654

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by pmjt on 19 January 2007

What's the point? If you take a 996 worth £25k to £30k - then spend £15k doing it right - you end up with a car that OWES you ££40k to £45k - but is WORTH £30k still.Surely better to save the pennies and buy a 997 when the price comes down?The practice of 'modernising' 911's is not a new one - I went to look at a '73 Targa, for a friend, that had been 'updated' to look like a '83 Turbo Targa - the car is worth less than a quarter of what an unmodified '73 Targa would be :?
Just my happeneth.Philip
Couldn't agree more!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 110656

However if you can pick an body dameged 996 thn it might (just might) be worth doing a 997 conversion.

If that floats your boat.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 110657

I agree with pmjt. In most cases one's better off spending more money on buying the car you want than adapting a different variant unless you have very specific requirments or are creating something unique.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 110661

guys this practice became common, in the older days,

when depreciation in a 3 year old 911, was very very very very slow indeed, and the only way to get a good looking modern car was to update a 3.0 or a 3.2 to 964 or 993 spec,

back in those days it was worth it,

all changed now

Migration info. Legacy thread was 110662

Hear, hear... Just got a trade valuation on my 996 C4 and frightened myself to death! Can't afford to risk driving it quickly now as it could cost me a 5-figure sum in negative equity if I write it off!!!

No more track days for this one! :(

Migration info. Legacy thread was 110665

Thanks chaps... See most of the replys are financial logic and not many buy 911's as an investment !! unless you're lucky..

Migration info. Legacy thread was 110672

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by pmjt on 19 January 2007

What's the point? If you take a 996 worth £25k to £30k - then spend £15k doing it right - you end up with a car that OWES you ££40k to £45k - but is WORTH £30k still.Surely better to save the pennies and buy a 997 when the price comes down?The practice of 'modernising' 911's is not a new one - I went to look at a '73 Targa, for a friend, that had been 'updated' to look like a '83 Turbo Targa - the car is worth less than a quarter of what an unmodified '73 Targa would be :?
Just my happeneth.Philip
Agreed, I dont see trhe point of financing such a major cconversion yourself but in this case someones already paid for it and the car is still the same price as a pre face lift 996, as long as it wasnt damaged it would seem a reasonable buy.

True in the 80s people were trying to get their old (pretty worthless at the time) pre impact bumper 911s to look like an 80s turbo, dont think I ever saw one that looked like it was probuced at Stuttgart.

Seems the whole thing is in reverse at present and people are willing to pay a premium for their SC or 3.2 to look like a pre impact bumper car (generally RS of course)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 110841

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Autocraft1
Back