Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Power Flat spot.

Porsche Events

Old forum user Unidentified(11139) wrote:

Hi All.

Looking for a bit of advice. My 2000 year 3.6 996 has a big flat spot in the power after about 4500 and 5000rpm, it still pulls but a definate lack of power upto the redline. Any Idea's on what it could be. I have recently changed the coil packs but the problem is still there.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 109107

could it be the MAF?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 109109

I'm not sure if this is the same issue but :

When I accelerate fairly hard (to about 6000rpm) there is a lag at about 4500rpm in the following gear. It's only very briefly and has only recently happened but it's noticable and it's now starting to bug me.

Any clues gratefully received.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 109118

Old forum user Unidentified(11139) wrote:

My flat spot occurs under hard acceleration after about 4500 and it doesn't get any better. if you ease off slightly then re-apply the power gently it's ok but under full throttle it's always there.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 109120

As smtk said it sounds like the MAF to me...

Migration info. Legacy thread was 109121

Almost certainly MAF - had the same thing myself last year...

Got it fixed and then next day I could do this:

/images/migration/UploadedForumImages/DSC_1366-lge.jpg

... one-handed! :eek: :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Migration info. Legacy thread was 109124

ooo ooo i got one right what do i win?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 109161

the satisfaction that you helped a fellow owner re-establish the enjoyment of thier car - asking for anything more would be greedy :wink:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 109173

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Wattie on 13 January 2007
Almost certainly MAF - had the same thing myself last year... 
Got it fixed and then next day I could do this:
/UploadedForumImages/DSC_1366-lge.jpg
... one-handed!   :eek: :D
  :D
Wattie. That is nothing short of mental :D :D :D

My power lag is to brief incredibly brief. By the ime time I've felt the lack of power the engine has kicked in again. It feels like a "kangaroo" on the clutch. (before any p*ss taking begins I'm not kangaroo-ing the clutch!)

PS Wher are you driving at that fast??

Migration info. Legacy thread was 109177

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Bud Fox on 13 January 2007

Wattie. That is nothing short of mental :D :D :D
My power lag is to brief incredibly brief. By the ime time I've felt the lack of power the engine has kicked in again. It feels like a "kangaroo" on the clutch. (before any p*ss taking begins I'm not kangaroo-ing the clutch!)PS Where are you driving at that fast??
Autobahn of course... :wink:
How does the advert go? "If you can, you should" lol :twisted:

Actually had the MAF sensor replaced by the dealer opposite the factory in Zuffenhausen after the car was misbehaving on the way there, and was on my way to another job at CERAM (GS450h launch training).

Still think MAF sensor is a good place to start looking - they are a bit prone to problems it seems on 996s and would definitely cause those sort of symptoms.

If it's not MAF, it could be a fault somewhere in the electronic throttle system - e.g. pedal sensor, electronic throttle motor?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 109182

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Wattie on 14 January 2007
If it's not MAF, it could be a fault somewhere in the electronic throttle system - e.g. pedal sensor, electronic throttle motor?

I think his car is a pre-face-lift 996... ie, it doesn't have e-Gas (released on the facelift 996).

Migration info. Legacy thread was 109206

Is it a C2 or a C4? If it's a C4 it's e-gas anyway... C2s had e-gas if PSM specified I think? As PSM uses electronic throttle as well as brakes.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 109243

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Wattie on 14 January 2007
Is it a C2 or a C4?  If it's a C4 it's e-gas anyway...  C2s had e-gas if PSM specified I think?  As PSM uses electronic throttle as well as brakes.
E-Gas??? Sound like something I should've have been taking for a good night 10 years ago.
Mine is a 98 C2. It does have Traction control (not as PSM though).

Thanks

Matt

Migration info. Legacy thread was 109273

I had flat spot exactly the same also a slight miss fire.. It was the MAF and also had new coils.. OK now

Migration info. Legacy thread was 109757

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spider69
Back