Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Now Im getting a bit worried....

Alex Bartman

Ive posted afew times - but a quick recap.....had a lifelong obsession to own a 911 - and finally did the deed just before Xmas and bought a 1999 Black 996 C4 cab and so far - I havent stopped smiling. But......readign through this forum - and others like it - the problems with the 3.4 engine have made me very very nervous. I bought it from an independent local dealer and the car (48K miles) has a pretty immaculate PSH and it seems has had no expense spared on it.

How can I tell if I have a 1999 facelifted version - and really should I be worried about problems with the 3.4l. I realise that forums like this are established to help with problems so many many posts will be concerned with the problematic side of ownership but are there any tell-tale signs to look out for or any pre-empticve work that can be done?

I spoke to the OPC nearest me (Hatfield) who can do the 111 point check and a years warranty for £1,150 or so. Thing is - I really dont want to spend all that cash after using every single penny of savings on the motor itself....as I say the car runs perfectly (apart from a rattling hard top) and all the gauges and dials do everyhting they should and react as they would be expected.

If the engine is likely to pack up soon - what do I look out for (if anything) and should I be as worried as I am now!!???

Migration info. Legacy thread was 107718

Alex - from what has been said in the past there aren't many signs that the engine will go. They just do sometimes. Once you start feeling the juddering associated with a cracked liner it is too late.

Total 911 said a few months ago that only about 5 of 3.4l suffer from a problem and a lot of these have already come out of the woodwork. So basically you have a 1 in 20 chance of being unlucky. So not that likely.

The warranty is just another Insurance, like placing a hedge bet. Some people don't like risk and get the warranty and others just wing it.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 107728

I would seriously not worry. As Chris says, what problems there have been have been blown out of all proportion when you consider how many cars have been sold.

I do not believe any 99 cars have been 'facelifted' i think that refers to 2001 onwards with the 3.6 engine and other small mods.

If i were you and you could i would get the warranty, just takes away the worry and allows you to get on with enjoying the car. If you decide against, still don't worry too much, it is not as bad as you read.

...it mostly 993 drivers scaremongering hoping to drive down prices... :wink:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 107735

I know its another grand, but you will LOVE having that warranty. Fancy driving like you stole it? No problem. You can thrash it all day everyday and not worry about that little rattle or odd puff of smoke. You sleep like a baby at night!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 107739

Oh and while I am on here-I have a 1999 C2 with 72k on it. The car has the original engine and full Porsche History. Now-it would be fair to say that it has been driven as it was supposed to be. Lots of fast driving (but also warmed up properly so stop wear-I know both the previous owners personally) and high rev use etc-and the car is spot on. No oil usuage between services at all, no problems so far etc etc. I guess what I am tyring to say is dont worry too much. They are good engines and the only ones I would be wary of are the low milers-average miles or above and I think the problem would have manifested itself already. These cars dont like sitting around!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 107740

I was very happy that I had the warranty when the heated seat element packed up at £433.........but as had been said it really does give me peace of mind......well worth the grand IMO.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 107742

I think everyone is pretty spot on, yes there have been some issues with a few of the 3.4 engines, but compared to the problems that other manufacturers have, the numbers are small in comparrison. So don't worry about it.

The face lift models have the 3.6 engine and the Turbo headlights and glove box among other things, so yours isn't one.

From the posts on here it appears that the warranty at £800 a year is probably worth having, although it won't cover you in the event of the engine failure (I think) that you are worried about.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 107745

There was also the 2001 model year, which looked the same as the earlier cars but had a few changes e.g. alcantara head lining and I believe some small engine mods but not sure.

Face lift cars were 02 and have the turbo front lights, slightly different rear, 3.6l engine, a glove box, and most important (to Sundeep), Cupholders.

I'd not worry about the engine probs at all- there are loads of water cooled engined Porsches about, and a minority who have had probs and make a lot of noise about it, making it seem worse than it is.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 107749

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by supersport on 09 January 2007

From the posts on here it appears that the warranty at £800 a year is probably worth having, although it won't cover you in the event of the engine failure (I think) that you are worried about.

Yes surely it does. As far as I am aware, if the breaks they fix it. Full stop.

Tell me I am right.............please.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 107750

thought engine would be covered as long as its not 'wear and tear'

Migration info. Legacy thread was 107771

Engine is definately covered. Including Coil packs and MAF sensors.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 107814

I had a 3.4 and was worried it might cost me a fortune. But, as I was reliably informed at the curry night its a very very small percentage, not some mass problem. Get a warranty from Porsche if you can - but if any work is needed to qualify for it you will have to pay.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 107871

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by F1_Dragon on 09 January 2007

I would seriously not worry. As Chris says, what problems there have been have been blown out of all proportion when you consider how many cars have been sold.

I do not believe any 99 cars have been 'facelifted' i think that refers to 2001 onwards with the 3.6 engine and other small mods.

If i were you and you could i would get the warranty, just takes away the worry and allows you to get on with enjoying the car. If you decide against, still don't worry too much, it is not as bad as you read.

...it mostly 993 drivers scaremongering hoping to drive down prices... :wink:

It seems to be working!!................

Migration info. Legacy thread was 107876

I got a bit that way (concerned) when reading all the comments about engine failures given that my car is a 3.4L and also my first 911.

To date, the only issues I have had ("touch wood" - something will probably go wrong now) have been what could be described as "usual" (similar issues experienced by other guys on the list - RMS, radiator expansion tank and water pump bearing. Although second gear crunches occasionally when driving hard which I have been advised is a wearing synchro (who knows).

The way I look at it - if the engine goes - great time to rebuild with more horsepower!!!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 108446

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe-nee-g
Back