Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Owning 964

webby

Looking at buying a 964 next year. But i want to use it everyday.

Good idea or bad?

What's the oldest you would recomend buying for this much use? I do around 10-12k a year.

not too worried about spec just as long a its RHD!

cheers

Migration info. Legacy thread was 100014

This probably won't help you (!) but I've just got a 1990 C4 964. I could use it every day (easy to drive, comfy), not sure what the runnings costs would be.

My everyday runner is a supercharged 968 CS - I got the '64 to see if I liked the 911 geometry and could make it go as fast as I wanted it to - if I can then I may progress with 911 ownership.

I'd recommend driving one before you buy (apologies, I'm assuming you may not have driven one already) as its quite a different drive to front runners, other mid engined stuff (MR2, Boxster) and the newer '11s.

Good luck with your search.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 100017

It's an OK idea as long as it's in good condition and rust hasn't started to set in, seals deterioating, etc. Reckon I'll do at least that mileage this year as its 100% daily driver, whatever the weather.

964s certainly are modern enough to do this as they have ABS, power steering etc. Thirsty on petrol which makes higher mileage usage quite expensive.

Ian.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 100034

Thanks for the input:

***bit more info****

I currently have a BMW so am used to RWD but not with the engin in the back as well so im 1/2 way there. Never driven a 911 tho

You say they can be thirsty for doing high miles in? What sort of MPG are we talking about? Im only after a non turbo (insurence reasons!)

Also do you think i will be able to get a good one for £10-12k?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 100053

I ran a 3.2 Carrera 1988 for 3 years as my alternative to a company car. 12 to 15 k miles a year, 22 - 27 to the gallon.
Starts outside no matter what the weather - no antifreeze to worry about and the heater was working inside a mile.
Great topic of conversation with customers too.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 100061

20mpg ish with less if you drive with your foot to the floor a lot.

A 10-12K 964 will be tough to find a good one. The lower you go on price the more crud you have to sift through to find the nice one. At that price you'll be buying private so will need to become pretty knowledgable about the 964 because you won't want to be paying for an inspection of every one you find and good ones at that price will go so fast you'll need to be able to inspect it yourself.

At 15K you'll have a much easier time finding one. At 18K you'll be able to pick up a beautiful example. As with any 911 if you buy one and it's not up to scratch you'll spend a fortune fixing it.

Ian.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 100124

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by ian_uk on 14 December 2006

At 15K you'll have a much easier time finding one. At 18K you'll be able to pick up a beautiful example. As with any 911 if you buy one and it's not up to scratch you'll spend a fortune fixing it.

Ian.
Just over 20mpg is what i was expecting.

And yes i had realised paying more to start with is the better bet. Theres no way i will be able to stretch to 18k, think 13k will be absolute tops for the minute.

My Dad's a mechanic so he will help me inspect, also if i know a few things to look for between us we should be ok.

What sort of servicing / repair cost are involved?

My Dad owns a garage so it's just parts really. Whats expensive and whats cheap?

Brake pads / Disks? Fuel Filters, Oil filters? Service stuff.

And what about common faults?

Also what tyres do you use? Anything found to be good? How much? My BMW has 225/50/16 and there £97 each

Migration info. Legacy thread was 100154

webby have you considered LHD ? as that bring it down in price but still 100% 911 experience......

~~~~ moving this post tot he 964 forum ~~~~

Migration info. Legacy thread was 100197

No not considered LHD, i know its still a 911 but just not the same, plus resale will be more of a pain than over taking.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 100963

Personally I would have a LHD, rather than an inferior car with potential expensive problems, but then I don't live in Cornwall and I know how difficult it is to see to overtake there.

I actually prefer to drive LHD cars - RH gear change is so much more logical, and balances the left foot on the clutch. Look at any race car (without flappy paddles) and see where the gear lever is...

Migration info. Legacy thread was 100966

Yes there are some rubbish roads here! Need all the overtaking help possible.

Won't be good in a LHD car behind a combine, never be able to see around it! lol

Yes i see what you mean about the gear change tho, i have driven cars on the track with the gear leaver on the right and the driver seat on the right.

Also driven Clio cup and it's quite strange sat on the left but there such good fun!

I completely understand where your coming from they are designed to be LHD drive as well.

Anyway RHD it is now im gonna go check out those parts

Thanks for the link

Migration info. Legacy thread was 100983

I have a 91 964 and i use it everyday, in all weather. No problems at all. I do about 6k miles a year though. You are really going to struggle to find a good rhd for 10-12k. Thats what a good 3.2 is going for. You might get a lhd for 12 thats reasonable. First advise i would give is to get one or two buyers guides, they can tell you alot more that we can.

An excellent place for parts
http://www.eurocarparts.com/

Migration info. Legacy thread was 101209

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biel
Back