Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Picked up GT3!!!

scotia_steve74

Well, after 450 miles yesterday and a good few today I can say that I'm now the happy owner of a Mk2 GT3 and that it's now back home with me!

The weather couldn't have been worse part of the way yesterday - lots of teaming rain and standing water! The Mk2 handled superbly. I was very careful but still had lots of fun!!

One question though.... On a nice dry and empty part of the motorway, just after a 40 zone and accelerating back up, I decided to see how the higher revs felt. At close to 8000rpm I changed from second and the car lurched one lane to the right! Now is this the throttle steer thing happening with the camber of the motorway? It was quite sudden and unpredictable and I was glad I waited til and empty stretch of the motorway to try it! Scared me a little and I never took it above 5000 after that!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 99937

Nice one Steve, glad you've finally got it.

As for the lane change, can't say i've had anything like that. Only ever had the expected reactions to laying down power with a squirm.

Sounds like yours went when depressing the clutch to engage another gear? This shouldn't happen. Will be a reason for it tho not sure what it might have been?? More details of incident please!

Dunc

Migration info. Legacy thread was 99945

Well done mate... Can we see some pic's......

Did the Boxster go to a good home ?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 99957

Well done Steve...

Pics please

Migration info. Legacy thread was 99970

I'll leave the GT3 boys to comment on the rapid lane changing, but hope everything else is in order with the car.

/images/migration/UploadedForumImages/useless(1).gif

:wink:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 100002

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Dunc on 13 December 2006Nice one Steve, glad you've finally got it.
As for the lane change, can't say i've had anything like that. Only ever had the expected reactions to laying down power with a squirm.
Sounds like yours went when depressing the clutch to engage another gear? This shouldn't happen. Will be a reason for it tho not sure what it might have been?? More details of incident please!
Dunc

Pics soon - minging weather! Got a couple of garage shots though! Box went to OPC!

Yup, just checked with the dealer and the alignment is fine. he suggested to try on another piece of road!

Basically I was coming out of a roadworks on the M6 and as there was no traffic at all around I stayed in the NS lane and accelerated towards 8000rpm in second. The car does follow every bump but when I let of the gas while putting the clutch pedal in the car veered violently to the right, meaningI ended up in lane 2!! Luckily no ther vehicles and plenty of room. I didnt even make the change to third it was that shocking! Happened dead on 8000 rpm but the late 7000's the car felt unstable.

Someone has said it could be tyre pressure on renntech but it seems odd. Garage I bought from said it may be just that bit of road but the M6 section was clear, slightly damp but not much and no rain at that point. Quite worrying!!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 100024

Well done on the car Steve,

really gave that one some serious consideration, but it came down to colour and SY was the one for me, great spec on the car, sure you will be very happy.

What happened today, sounds like tramlining to be honest going with the camber, your not used to it, strange things will happen, they are so powerful

Migration info. Legacy thread was 100030

Figured I would need to get used to it :D

I love the car - loads of rattles and nearly fixed them all! Missing a few clips to hold the door panel on but not really noticeable!

Apart from a little incident, handled great! Had lots of standing water too on a lot of the journey and no prob at sensible speeds!

Got some piccies too...... :)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 100031

How you all doin peeps..
beerchug.gif

Excellent choice in car fella, but about your prob.. has what you described happened only the once?, what boots you run with and what condition are they in?

From what you describe, it sounds like a similar problem i had with my GT3 although mine done this most of the time.

I took it JZM who know about a problem (ask Steve about this at JZM) with the Michelin rears. The tread was still fine and the tires looked good, i had done over 4000 miles also with no worries and a corner balance and geo set up had been done only recently. So they swapped over another GT3s wheels with tires onto mine, went for a test drive and it cured the problem completely. :)

If its possible, i would highly recommend a visit down here, get your car booked into JZM for a corner balance and geo set up.. worth every penny and at least 2secs a lap at most UK tracks, best bang for buck on a GT3 IMO.

...rob

Migration info. Legacy thread was 100040

If you were off power when it happened i'd think it'd be a road surface / tramlining issue. The steering is 'lively' and does occasionally 'grab' so maybe it was a bump on the road.

Getting a geo check / adjust is a good idea for a new car to set it up right from the outset. OPC's ain't that great with the 3 by all accounts and i know of a couple of places in central Scotland who're up to the job - a guy in Edinburgh is reputedly very good and used to do the 'tricky' alignments the OPC couldn't get right.

Dunc

Migration info. Legacy thread was 100062

It just did it the once but the car really lurched when the clutch was fully in. Very sudden and unpredictable at around 8000 rpm in second!

Just checked the pressures - 36 and 40 f/r all the same??

Did yours get checked by Porsche first an if so did they try to fix? Very nervous car at speed too!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 100063

Car should feel planted at speed unless on bumpy roads. I've found i'm doing a greater speed than thought on a number of occasions.

Sounds like a geo check's in order!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 100064

Should that be covered by the OPC I just bought from and warranty!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 100065

Nope, doubt that they'll honour that - might be worth phoning to say you suspect its out to see if they'll do anything but doubtful. I've heard it from a number of sources that OPCs often set up GT3s poorly. Think it depends on the experience of the tech.

Warranty only covers failed parts and the alignment of GT3s is hugely adjustable and therefore can be hugely out of adjustment!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 100066

Just checked - should have been part of OPC check if I asked and I did!! I asked if it would be set to standard!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 100067

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back