Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

I think i talked my self into an RS :/

smtk

I was talking to steve(JZM)about tyres and about possable upgrades to my turbo

And when it comes down to it i think i may want an 993rs :/

I dont want to want one i love my tubby but the tubbies main sell is on the road grunt which i never get to use because of laser toteing plod.

I dout i'd get insured on a 993GT2. So that leaves the 933rs or 996GT3. The gt3 is ok but lacks hips so i guess that leaves the 993rs ho hum.

(dont worry mick i'm not after a yellow one :p)
this one seems to tick a few boxes
/images/migration/UploadedForumImages/displayimage.php.jpg

Maybe i'm being silly and should forget about it

Migration info. Legacy thread was 99508

I'd noticed that one too Simon. Would be a pretty handy track tool i'd imagine. Would be quite a different drive form your tt! Worth a test drive to find out !!

Dunc

Migration info. Legacy thread was 99523

Is that the 911 heaven one?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 99528

yes

but from some of the comments it sounds like it has a past, but says 'zero' issues

drives superb with zero issues..supplied with clear HPI certificate

black red or rs blue are the colours i want

Migration info. Legacy thread was 99544

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by smtk on 11 December 2006

yesbut from some of the comments it sounds like it has a past, but says 'zero' issuesdrives superb with zero issues..supplied with clear HPI certificateblack red or rs blue are the colours i want
Think the majority of RSs probably will have some history due to age and track exposure. The best examples command the best prices. Sure there'll be some good 'uns about tho. Got to be worth a blat to see if you're into them or not?!

Dunc

Migration info. Legacy thread was 99549

Well it was better than you waking me up at 6.30 going out lol :p

I guess around 45k if i sold private and i reckon i could i've had a few people waving money at me over the last year

Migration info. Legacy thread was 99551

Simon, if you're planning to do more trackdays then the RS will definately make you smile. I'm sure someone will disagree with me but I feel the TT is great on the road but just seems a bit heavy on the track, more of a GT kind of car really.

If you're not doing many track days then you might not get the most out of an RS. It would be great to have another 993RS on the forum though! :D
Saw the red one in Bedford, it looked really really nice!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 99562

That particular 993 RS is very nice looks the business, seen it in the flesh, lives round the corner to me.

Beware it has a big history, Andrew Frankel (chap rights motoring in the Sunday times) his brother smashed it up on the ring, I think there is some film/photos of it somewhere.

I am sure Keith will tell you about it if you ask. Previously owned by Andrew at Gmund, afte the wreck!

It has been put back together very well and at the right price it is still a bargain. I believe it has had some a new front end, but you can't find the joins, the man that did it is by all accounts a genius!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 99581

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by supersport on 11�December�2006

That particular 993 RS is very nice looks the business, seen it in the flesh, lives round the corner to me.

Beware it has a big history, Andrew Frankel (chap rights motoring in the Sunday times) his brother smashed it up on the ring, I think there is some film/photos of it somewhere.

I am sure Keith will tell you about it if you ask. Previously owned by Andrew at Gmund, afte the wreck!

It has been put back together very well and at the right price it is still a bargain. I believe it has had some a new front end, but you can't find the joins, the man that did it is by all accounts a genius!

I went to inspect that exact car before I bought my GT3. AFter tracing all the POs and speaking to every one of them to get the history, including the guys who rebuilt the engine after its crash, I decided not to. At the time, the car was virtually in concours condition... It's a lovely car, and with its crash history it's a good trackday car.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 99595

I won’t buy one that’s had a smash. I like to know I could shift them if I wanted too. With a past it means waiting for some one willing to take the risk.

I'll get some new tyres and driving lessons for the tubby and if the car still pushes wide on turn in I’ll chop it.

I spoke to Steve (JZM) I was asking how i could improve and basically it was a big expensive list of RS stuff and removing half the car. This means i’ll be destroying its value.

So seems to make more sense to just swap it for an RS which is about the same money.

Downsides for me are
- Not wide body
- Very showy (I’d want the gt2 body kit)
- maybe a little too raw around the edges
- would be a left hooker (which would bug me)

Upsides
- More fun to drive
- Less to go wrong
- has all the RS stuff already on it

Logic would suggest a GT3 but I find bland to look at. If I was to spec a dream one it would be GT2 body kit, black and around 50k on the clock for £50 to 45ish if you know of one just say ;)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 99619

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by smtk on 12 December 2006

I'll get some new tyres and driving lessons for the tubby and if the car still pushes wide on turn in I’ll chop it.

All 2wd 911s (including GT3s) will understeer if the driving style AND geometry are not adjusted. With 4wd, you actually get slightly less understeer as the front wheel drive tends to pull the car's nose around if it runs wide. If you're still getting understeer with a 4wd 911, your driving style probably requires significant adjustment as it sounds like you have too much entry speed: slow in, fast out. The advantage of 4wd is that you can trail brake deeper into corners (maintaining drive to the front) and also get on the power earlier to leverage the additional traction on exit.

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by smtk]
So seems to make more sense to just swap it for an RS which is about the same money.

Downsides for me are
- Not wide body
- Very showy (I’d want the gt2 body kit)
- maybe a little too raw around the edges
- would be a left hooker (which would bug me)

The GT2 body kit is even more showy! Do you mean the small RS spoiler pack? I'd suggest driving an RS if you haven't already as it is a significantly more raw than a TT which could be tiring on longer distance journeys if you are accustomed to the effortlessness of the TT. I think the switch to LHD is a big change and one that you need to be sure about if you are going to be doing a lot/majority of miles in the UK.

Not trying to put you off at all, it's just that there are significant differences in the character of the RS and TT - and we haven't even mentioned the "power issue". I haven't heard of many TT people making the switch to the RS unless they were 100% sure about looking for a track-focussed car.

If you are looking for a track focussed car, you really should also consider a GT3 as it is a significant step up in dynamics and capability over the 993RS... and besides, you don't see the outside of the car when you're having as much fun on the inside :wink:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 99649

Rhd Mk1 GT3 for the same money as your 993TT

no brainer!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 99658

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by poon on 12 December 2006

Rhd Mk1 GT3 for the same money as your 993TTno brainer!
'Tis true. Unless you're a proper aircooled nut or are looking for solid residuals the time spent searching for a perfect 93RS could be spent hooning about in a quicker mk1 3 - quite a few available at mo.

Dunc

Migration info. Legacy thread was 99659

Good things come to those who wait! :wink:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 99660

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Butzi on 12 December 2006

Good things come to those who wait! :wink:
What, like a new gearbox? :D

Migration info. Legacy thread was 99664

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads