Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Solar trickle charger -

LOJO

Viv's Boxster was left alone for too long so had a flat battery - so flat that it wouldn't open the bonnet! I tried the advice about using a screwdriver to pull the cable behind the lever, but couldn't manage that. So the normal charger was useless, jumper cables useless, I had to get a cigarette lighter trickle charger.

Then I found this solar powered cigarette lighter charger on the Maplin website and it looks great. The best is that you can put it on the dash or against a window in the garage or wherever - and you get change from ten bucks!

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?TabID=1&ModuleNo=98358&doy=10m12

Hope it helps someone -

LJ

Migration info. Legacy thread was 99110

Sounds a good idea. But: Some cars disconnect the lighter socket when the ignition is off - does this mean that on the Boxster it is always on / activated mechanically by putting in the iginition key? If having a flat battery actually means one cannot (easily) get at the battery to remedy the situation - i think that is poor design /an unfortunate oversight...

Migration info. Legacy thread was 99347

Do search on battery or chargers - its all on here and then some! - chargers - flat batteries - square batteries - solar chargers - wind chimes - Battery safety + positive - negative - acid on your trousers - electricity up your nether regions --Einsteins theory of repricocity etc etc etc.

Its all such an electrifying subject too! :D

Not forgetting replace it with a Bosche Silver at less than 40 percent of the cost of a Porsche stealer one!!

PS. this is a Bosche silver battery.

/images/migration/UploadedForumImages/BATTERYCIMG1589WORDEDTINY(1).jpg

And this is a Maplin solar charger

/images/migration/UploadedForumImages/battery%20charger%20solar(3).jpg

Migration info. Legacy thread was 99353

Note

A solar charger as above is frankly a waste of money - what you need is a Battery maintainer/charger. Ask me how I know....

Get one of these - you wont regret it.

from here

Link to CTEK charger page

/images/migration/UploadedForumImages/battery%20charging%20ctek.jpg

CTEK MULTI XS 3600 - Features

* Four step, fully automatic switch mode model.
* Charges lead-acid batteries (Wet, MF, GEL and AGM) from 1.2Ah to 120Ah.
* Maintenance pulse charging increases battery life and gives superb performance.
* Charges even drained batteries.
* Pulse recover of slightly sulphated batteries.
* Three unique charging modes for use on small batteries, large batteries and a special cold mode that is also suitable for AGM batteries.
* Low back current drain, low ripple and input voltage independent (170-260V).
* High efficiency: 85%
* Delivered with two interchangeable connection leads, one with clamps, and one with eyelet terminals (8.4mm).The charger can by connected for months, ideal for seasonal vehicles.
* Compact design with mounting holes for permanent assembly.
* Easy Wall mounting, easily fitted in place using two screws. The diameter of the mounting holes is 4.5mm.
* 2 year warranty.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 99360

Tim - I belive that Porsche does not deactivate the cigarette lighter on switch-off, so you are right but it does not apply -

I think it is a flaw, however, it seems to require very little power so the bonnet does open even when the battery is pretty flat...

LJ

Migration info. Legacy thread was 99489

LJ - thanks for confirming. Think this may be a common problem. My E46 has the battery in the boot which can only be opened via a solenoid release.

I go with Stevo's comments though, as i now rely on a CTEK connected to each car to ensure i never have a flat battery in the first place. and, so-far so-good!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 99598

My 993 lighter socket is disconnected when the ignition goes off.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 99605

that seems more normal from the recent cars i have driven...

Migration info. Legacy thread was 99608

I'm contemplating with the idea of going 'green' and buying a few sets of solar trickle chargers. I'm assuming that since this thread started technology, materials & design have moved on over the years.

Does anyone else use the latest solar chargers that can give us the heads up on what to know & look for when making purchases.

Cheers :thumb:

I have a 'briefcase' solar charger and a separate refulator bought from ebuyer which I use on my 996.
Since I stopped using the Porsche as a daily driver I found the battery was sometimes getting discharged between drives so I tried a solar charger. Started with a small charger like in the opening post but it was not up to the job.
On a recommendation I bought the larger briefcase one which opens out and almost completely fills the space behind the rear seats (it fits in snugly since I reshaped it using a dremel).
It connects into the cigarette lighter socket via a regulator and since having it the battery has always been topped up and able to start the car, even when left for weeks over the Winter. Cost about £50.

Attachments

• image_438.jpeg
    image_438.jpeg
    37.6 KB · Views: 18,449
  • image_914.jpeg
    image_914.jpeg
    69.7 KB · Views: 18,449
That's a neat looking piece of kit. All of the cars are covered with their own protection snug fits. I'm wondering how to connect it all up & run the cable externally from the vehicles without damaging the cables closing the frunk or doors.

JKH112 said:
I have a 'briefcase' solar charger and a separate refulator bought from ebuyer which I use on my 996.
Since I stopped using the Porsche as a daily driver I found the battery was sometimes getting discharged between drives so I tried a solar charger. Started with a small charger like in the opening post but it was not up to the job.
On a recommendation I bought the larger briefcase one which opens out and almost completely fills the space behind the rear seats (it fits in snugly since I reshaped it using a dremel).
It connects into the cigarette lighter socket via a regulator and since having it the battery has always been topped up and able to start the car, even when left for weeks over the Winter. Cost about £50.

Are you still using this? I'm contemplating buying one, especially for this time of year. With the reduced sunlight, is it still doing its job?

I only drive the car once every couple of weeks and frequently find there isn't enough charge to start the car - I'm hoping this will keep enough juice to crank it over.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlas.997
Back