Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Audi driver thinking of converting...

Tartan_Rob

Hi ya Guys. I am an Audi driver through and through and currently own a pretty standard 2004 S4. Prior to this I had a 1998 S4 running approx 480bhp.

I'm looking to get back into something quick and having never owned/run a Porsche, I'm looking for some info. I test drove a 996 Carrera 2 Targa (?) last weekend at a local Porsche dealer and was impressed with power delivery (even though it was very slow), its poise, grip and confidence inspiring qualities. Good depreciation is also a benefit...! The wife currently has a 3.2 TT roadster, but is chaning it in spring for a A4 diesel. I do about 400miles a week.

I am looking to get into a 996 Turbo with x pack once my S4 has sold. Has anyone else moved from a bigger family car to an out and out sports car and what can you tell me about the move..? What options should I ideally be looking for and what should I be looking out for...?

Thanks for helping,Rob

Migration info. Legacy thread was 97593

moving to a proper 2+2 is a real change as a major factor is the loss of any practical storage space....... of course there is enough but not as easy to use...

but the 996 TT is a fine car and you'll find any 996 to be a good buy, but moving from wat you have a TT would be a better buy...

Migration info. Legacy thread was 97604

I moved from a 225bhp Audi TT,into an M3....then bought a 996 Carrera 4.
Six weeks later I had traded it in for a 996 Carrera4S! The C4S is (in my humble opinion) a better looking car...it sits lower,has wider hips and turbo body without the air intakes behind the doors.

Practically speaking it's much more spacious than a TT,as quick as the M3 in a straight line(infact the "top end" - were you to get there - is significantly quicker.) On real roads,in real conditions it handles like a sports car should - and this is alot better than the M3...(and I would presume S4).

Running costs are very similar....though warranty is now £895 on the 996 when outside the manufacturers warranty.
Fuel consumption around 23 - 26 mpg (tho a sporty run down to Le Mans will only return 20mpg!) - so pretty good there.
Service intervals are every 12000miles or TWO years(on models from Jan04 onwards)....last service cost me £450.
Insurance...obviously Grp 20....but this year I SIGNIFICANTLY reduced mine through confused.com who put me in touch with "More Than" - premium now only £560.

All in all a joy to drive,a great performer....and an EVERYday supercar!

Im actually thinking of changing my 2004 996 C4S to a 997 C4S....but only coz I get bored! But this is the FIRST time for YEARS I'll have stayed with the same manufacturer!

Hope the comments were of some help.
Good Luck!
Mike

Migration info. Legacy thread was 98220

With a turbo, X50 or not, the main thing to look out for is losing your licence.
If you drive it everyday, you need a lot of restraint.
You cannot rely on luck since it will eventually run out.

996TT is not an out and out sports car.
It is a road car, and is too heavy and too soft (in standard spec) to really take on the hardcore on track.
It will of course do well in a track environment,and likes to be thrashed (no over revs or missed gears though, and as long as it is warm, but follow that and it can take it for miles after everything else has fallen apart).

Nothing much to look out for, out of the ordinary. History, servicing and sensible interior/exterior colours, HPI check and look for damage.
Try to keep it standard if you want the manufacturer extended warranty.

The later cars get all the options as standard.
I would stick to C16 UK spec cars, just because there is no good reason not to.

It is not exactly afamily car, though you can get 4 people in it for limited periods.
Drive one. You will either like it, in which case you will want one, or the compromises will annoy you and you won't want one.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 98230

Guys - thanks. My biggest issue is the space or lack of it. Hoping to get into one this weekend or next. The speed is nothing as the old S4 outdragged a 997 turbo beyond 170mph (80 --> 125 in less than 4 secs in 5th gear of a 6speed box). I'm used to it and in fairness having had it for some years am happy to cruise at normal speeds most of the time. I just need the kick when I fancy it.

No intention of tracking it, I'll get a proper track car for that, it is purely a day-to-day driving.

Thanks and keep the comments coming....

Rob

PS Audi was badged a 1.9Tdi - it was not you was it...Pors he driver was mighty pissed off, funny though...?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 98235

Rob I think you should stick to the Audi - also check the Audi TT boards because they also exaggerate their figures just like you do -

The standard 1998 S4 was a 2.7 with 265bhp while the 4.2 offers a mere 339bhp.

One clue is how you tested the old car against the 997 Turbo - some time travelling involved there?

LJ

Migration info. Legacy thread was 98241

mmm

I also had a chiped S4 pumping out 315bhp, rolling road tested,

and it was a very fast car in a straight line, however not near a 996tt above 50mph,

however it was not far off my old C4S, though the C4S would have blown it away any where other than a motorway.

Anyone can go fast in a straight line,

my A4 240k miles tdi chiped to 130phb has done 140mph on the clock on the motorway,

speed is nothing without control, and handling where a porsche blows all away, even the most humble 993. C2 is beyone the most chipped RS4 on the twisty stuff.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 98250

LJ - thanks for your comments. From the normal members comments to me thus far I thought Porsche drivers were a friendly and very helpful bunch....you make me think again. I do think you are a tad unfair in your estimation of me here and i resent your comments.

Where exactly did I state my car was std? My S4 had an £8k upgrade to take it to approx 480bhp and about 580lb/ft of torque (RS4 K04 turbos, with RS6 impellor and custom tubular manifolds + bigger intercoolers to name but a few changes) . The conversion is common, check out
www.mrctuning.com
for further detail. I have an in-car and speedo video of 80-->125 if you care to view.

And with regard to the 997turbo...I made the assumption that it was new due to the front lights being the new design and a turbo badge on the back, it was a middle age gentleman driving (so I suspect he had not swapped badges) and my GPS showed 173 or something similiar as I backed off having pulled approx 2 car lengths...Perhaps my assumption of 997turbo was wrong, I'm happy to be corrected?

I was not trying to make a "my car is better than yours statement", but to simply infer that I am used to the speed and in reality the 911 is a quick car but not any quicker than what I have had before.

I am thinking of changing to a Porsche in order to drive what some may call the best sports car in the world and to regain the performance I had once before. I had hoped that having driven a turbo (still waiting) and having spoken to some of you guys, that would give me the confidence to go and buy one.

I'm not so sure now....I don't want to be tarred with the same brush as you...!

Yours - a very dissapointed Rob

PS the 4.2 V8 Audi has 344 BHP and with a Full Miltek and racing cats, approx 360bhp...but in fairness coupled to a tip box, is slow.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 98255

speed freak - thanks. Appreciate the comments and especially someone that has come from an Audi into the Porsche.

Agreed on the handling, the Audi's are not the best, plenty fast enough through the twisties in fairness but I'm sure even the underpowered 911's would show up most other quick cars on a similar stretch of road.

I was a little concerned with the carrera2 I drove that the steering was very direct and found myself constantly over correcting, is that just the nature of the car and somehting one gets used too? (Bear in mind I have never driven an out and out sports car before!)

Ta, Rob

Migration info. Legacy thread was 98256

Rob,

It is something to get used to, and you will love it, the Audi is very un involved so you have to get out of that feeling, no feedback etc.

I think you are being a little bit sensative re the comments, I have read them again, and I dont think anyone is being funny with you, just passing comments etc,

You have to remember that we hear of lots of people uping the Bhp of their cars, and it gets a little boring for us, we mostly buy 911's because of the complete package handling performance etc,

Try reading the posts as a third party, think you will see that honest :D

Migration info. Legacy thread was 98266

Thanks.....I'm not one for exagerating anything and was just trying to justify myself as a genuine guy that is NOT trying to boast and big up my little old Audi....

Fully appreciate that the 911 is less of a comprimise and much more of a true sports car. I just need to convice myself that I need a purer sports car over the more family orientated Audi etc.

Do people keep there Porsches a long time in relation to other cars they have had - general question? And when they change, what do they change too...do they remina with the brand or jump ship?

Thanks again.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 98271

very few change hence the increase in sales over the last few years,

if they do change generally come back after, some like Ferrari are faster and look nicer, however the running costs count them out other than for the very wealthy.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 98275

Ah okay. I always think the marque of a good car is whether people remain with the brand or move into something else. Not true in all cases but most...IMO

Migration info. Legacy thread was 98276

C16 UK Spec car? I have no idea what is being referred too here...?

Could someone help me out please?

Thanks

Migration info. Legacy thread was 98277

The majority of Porsche owners are very friendly, Rob, even to Audi drivers :wink:

There's a piece in the next Total 911 about a guy who was sick of depreciation on new cars, so he sold his Audi TT (a car which I rather like) and bought a 996 instead - he's delighted with it.

If you're doing 400 miles a week, you may want to consider the impact on your fuel bills a Turbo will have. Personally, I'd go for a Carrera.

Cheers

Phil

Migration info. Legacy thread was 98279

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spider69
Back