Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Wanted 996 Targa

Dave Smith

Silverstone
I'm looking for a high spec manual 996 Targa with PCM2, Litronic, FPSH ideally with Porsche extended warranty. 2002/52 or later, 30kish miles or less. Could posible be convinced by C2 with a similar spec

Dave

Migration info. Legacy thread was 96042

Nice to talk to you the other day Dave. Best of luck with your search. :)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 96044

Thanks for taking the trouble to answer all my questions about your 'ex'.

The search goes on...

Migration info. Legacy thread was 96056

Dave,

Fistly welcome, secondly I assume you are not looking for a pink one?

What is your budget?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 96074

Thanks Sean,

I've been lurking for quite some time.

Indeed I met the PP and was tempted but it wasn't quite for us. Colour was not a problem as we used to have a Silverrose 944 which is properly pink !

Budget is around £35k, possible higher for the 'perfect' car.

How have you got on with yours ? Any tips ?

Regards

Dave

Migration info. Legacy thread was 96083

I love the glass roofed Targa, apart from buying something for the weekends (if you have lurked round here you will know that everyone who can ends up with a GT3 or RS) my next car will be a 997 Targa. It makes a great daily drive.

All you need is a small tube of silicone grease in the glove box as you will develop the odd creak now and again, but you learn where to apply the stuff and you are sorted. Also having a Porsche hatch back has some practical benefits that just add to the usability.

I don't know what use you intend to put yours to and it took me a long time to come round to it but as a daily (or as frequently as I get a chance) drive Tiptronic and Cruise are simply great. In a Targa I would also recommend heated seats, a freezing clod day with the roof open and the seats on is just awesome. A must have in any 911 spec is parking sensors, I just wish they were in the front as well as the back as I just got the £1700 estimate for the incident I had last Saturday.

With a Targa I would also recommend that you get the rear wiper, not needed on a coupe as it just adds weight and if you drive fast enough it clears :)
anyway if you do use the hatch it is useful to have the thing clear of water and an area of glass that has been swept by a blade tends to stay dryer.

Extended warranty is very good but I would make sure it is an OPC one. That does not mean you need to buy from an OPC just that the car needs to get through the Porsche 111 point check and then the warranty can be purchased.

Remember when you find a candidate post it up here.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 96086

Have had my manual targa for a few months now. '02 2002 in black. Mileage slightly high at 59k (when Purchased) although that didn't bother me. Has Psm but most missed option is probably heated seats although there is a company advertised online that fits them for around £500 both sides(if I ever find a "spare" £500 I'd be tempted.

(http://www.carfi.co.uk/html/heated_seats.html?gclid=CILNjcv78YgCFT94MAodp2Tpiw).

Paid £35k but took a long long time just to find the right colour (black/Manual). Love the glass roof, very airy very open unlike some cars -especially some sports cars that feel quite enclosed! Have to echo previous post about silicone grease, got mine from halfords. When I first got the car home there were some noticeable creaks from the roof and rear window, but after reading on this forum about the grease sprayed everything( roof/rear window) and it hasn't creaked once several weeks later.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 96099

Thanks Guys,

Initially started looking for a Targa on the simple premise that I'd decided on a facelift 996 and of course a Targa guaranteed it. Having researched this a bit more thoroughly I realised it was a great all round car and the seed was sown. This was June 2005.

My initial hope that prices were set to drop proved unfounded and nothing appeared anywhere near my budget. This spring prices seem to move and after a slow trickel the last few months have seen quite a few appear on the market. Meanwhile I realise I want PCM2 and up goes the budget again. Also there appear to be more autos than manuals...

Dave

Migration info. Legacy thread was 96143

There is a nice low mile Targa on eBay - 27k miles, Arctic Silver for £35k.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 111673

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by SeanD on 01 December 2006

A must have in any 911 spec is parking sensors, I just wish they were in the front as well as the back as I just got the £1700 estimate for the incident I had last Saturday.
Come on, you're not doing the 911 image any favours! Targa, tip, parking sensors - sure its not a Merc you should be driving :wink:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 111677

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Dunc on 24 January 2007

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by SeanD on 01 December 2006

A must have in any 911 spec is parking sensors, I just wish they were in the front as well as the back as I just got the £1700 estimate for the incident I had last Saturday.
Come on, you're not doing the 911 image any favours! Targa, tip, parking sensors - sure its not a Merc you should be driving :wink:

just leave the Towing Eye in, seems to work well :wink:

oh how I miss heated seats :(
damn those buckets !

Migration info. Legacy thread was 111680

You're supposed to feel uncomfortable man - its a 'sports' car and therefore part of the 'experience'!! :wink:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 111683

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Anthony Corbett on 24 January 2007

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290073159718&ssPageName=ADME:B:WNA:UK:12

And this appeared on my radar.
The pictures to this one made me laugh out loud - various backdrops of London, but all showing the front of the car! Not a single one of the back, interior, or importantly the roof!! LOL. Agree with the views, one of the best 996 models available IMO. I think the rear glass open like a hatch if I'm not mistaken - very practical too!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 111697

Thanks for the updates guys,

The artic silver one did not have PCM2 or the Carerra wheels or the OPC warranty extension.

The Seal grey one on eBay is Tiptronic, and has been around for a while, initially very overpriced in my opinion.

Quite a few targas have been on Autotrader for some time without moving. Quite a few more have appeared since New year but mostly autos.

Search continues, and I've now sold the TT so we do not have part ex to worry about.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 111736

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GT3161
Back