Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

My first breakdown!!

Jays964

Well it had to happen at some point, the 911 let me down at the weekend!

I was driving through town and noticed the charge light flicker a couple of times. Parked up, came back to the car later, turned the key and just a click from the solenoid. I got the car running by pushing it, got it home and checked the battery with it running. Under 12v so figured that the battery was too flat to start it cos the alternator wasn't charging it.

Got some prices for a new one and was pleasantly surprised to find that it was only £140. Not too bad I thought. Had Dan over to remove the old one so I could go and exchange it, he had a check just to make sure that was the problem and discovered the lead that goes to the starer motor from the battery had corroded and snapped!! Great I thought, that's bound to be cheaper than a new alternator. Oh how wrong I was! The lead that seems to just go from the battery to the starter is £330 and thats a trade price! WTF?????

Anyone know why this is so expensive? I had a chat with the electrician at work and he's said he'll make me one up, but I can't help but wonder if there is something special about it, anyone have any idea?

GT3 on 5th gear at the moment looks and sounds amazing!!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 94308

ouch......330 notes fir the lead !

an easy repair I hope ?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 94439

Hopefully, the electrician at work is going to have a look at what I've got today and hopefully knock something up for me. Its not the easiest thing in the world to get to either!!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 94651

Ouch!

Was talking to a chap the other week about a 993 GT2, it needed new spark plugs and they were going to be ordered from Germany. He told the chap ordering them that he might as well get a spare set.

Here comes the ouch.....each plug is £70 + vat, so 12 x 70 = £840 + vat = £987.

Needless to say, the spare set didn't happen!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 94702

The main lead from the starter to the battery is a very long cable and must take a huge current. Any repair must be able to take up to 400 amp starter current.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 95284

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back