Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Aston Martin V8 v Porsche Carrera 2S

Porsche

Donnington
MSN Motoring News...

http://cars.uk.msn.com/Reviews/article.aspx?cp-Documentid=1216180

77D45EAF368487B4B968E3334A95.jpg

3BBC236836B479409C3DF494F23B3C.jpg

and interesting review with an interesting conclusion....

Migration info. Legacy thread was 87838

Love the colour of the AM

Migration info. Legacy thread was 87847

Since the Normal Carrera S is a better "sports car" than the Aston, the engine upgraded version is going to beat it easily!

The Aston is still nicer to look at though!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 87891

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by So Poo on 07 November 2006

Since the Normal Carrera S is a better "sports car" than the Aston, the engine upgraded version is going to beat it easily!

:eek:
-

I want 100 lines "In my heart of hearts the 911 looks better"

Migration info. Legacy thread was 87928

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Daniel Sait on 07 November 2006

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by So Poo on 07 November 2006

:eek:
-

I want 100 lines "In my heart of hearts the 911 looks better"

I agree with Chris :oops:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 87937

Take a long hard look at the picture....

The Aston will date with-in 5 years..

The 911.. timeless classic lines..

Migration info. Legacy thread was 87941

Previous poster said:

Right here. Right now. The Aston is the better looking car. In five years time I think that will still be the case. IMO of course :)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 87946

Previous poster said:

Like a DB5 and DB6 you mean. Dan the Porsche is a classic look - but the Aston is more just impressive IMO. This look does not come cheap however!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 87951

Can I have both or do I have to pick which one I like best to look at ?

That would be a hard choice!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 87956

Aston is like a model - lovely to look at but a real pain in the bum to live with - the 911 is a bit boring in comparison to look at but way better to live with. Not sure if any of you guys have had a chance to drive the AMV8 but what a shocking clutch and gear shift - absolutely terrible! Not the best driving position either!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 87959

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Servo Sarai on 07 November 2006

Aston is like a model - lovely to look at but a real pain in the bum to live with - the 911 is a bit boring in comparison to look at but way better to live with. Not sure if any of you guys have had a chance to drive the AMV8 but what a shocking clutch and gear shift - absolutely terrible! Not the best driving position either!
I didn't think the clutch was too heavy, but the gear shift required some effort - really had to ram it in (so as to speak)! :oops:
It's the 16mpg, I couldn't live with at the moment. Must be so expensive to run, mile-for-mile when compared to a 997C2S.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 87969

their summary..

The flashy Aston might turn heads and get the most people talking, but if you want the best performance car, it has to be the Porsche.

enough said really :D

Migration info. Legacy thread was 87974

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by admin on 07 November 2006

their summary..

The flashy Aston might turn heads and get the most people talking, but if you want the best performance car, it has to be the Porsche.

enough said really :D

Pretty accurate summary if you ask me!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 87978

Hmmm, a little biased chaps, I have owned a 996 sports pack, 996 facelift, 996TT & 997S & now an AMV8. haven't read the review yet, but here are my views for what they are worth!in

The Aston is a fabulous car, not better than Pork just different & just as good in its own way. As it feels totally different to Pork you need time to get used to it.

On the +

The Aston is a better GT, much more comfortable, less drive line shunt, great part throttle response, nice solid chunky controls & fantastic driving position. It is also a very good drivers car, the weight distribution is spot on (51/49) so the car moves all as one & simply flows down your favourite B road, it will also allow the back end to move with a hint of oversteer, making you feel great in the driving seat, it also understeers less than a 911. The car does float & roll a little, more than an 030 or PASM equipped Porker (less than a standard 996), but if you learn to trust it & get used to "flowing" through the bends it really is an amazing drive & the engine sounds even better than a Porsche with PSE. The car also looks fabulous, an automotive jewel inside & out & makes you feel lucky to own it every time you approach it, it also has a great friendly image with fellow road users.

On the -

The engine is slow to rev in the lower rev range, part throttle GT driving is great ,but flat to the floor below 4k revs & you want more response. Above 4,5k it is a demon, with Lucifer screaming in your ears from the exhaust note. The Porker has a much better gearbox, not as manly, but much faster & easy to use, the 911's engine also revs more cleanly from lower revs & it is certainly a little faster, although not by much on the road, but it does "feel" faster than the Aston, it also has better traction out of corners due to the rear weight biase. Pork steering also offers more feel, but is a little too light after you get used to the Vantage. The Porker is also better engineered, you can feel everything is well made, I know which car will be more reliable in a few years time & it won't be the Aston. As a drivers car the 911 has the edge, it is the bigger adrenaline pump, certainly when pushing on above 7/10th's, below that the Aston has the edge, as it flows better through the corners!

So all I am saying guys is don't knock it until you have tried it properly, Pork is fabulous, but so is the Aston in it's own way, this car has got under my skin & I am really pleased I have been lucky enough to own one. I will, of course, be back to Pork soon, but the Aston is a fabulous class act both as automotive art & a drivers car with a roaring V8 heart, all this said by a true Porkernut!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 88110

Porkernut, thanks for the comments, I guess like every car you need to spend a bit of time with it. My intial impressions were not too good but then I only had the car for an hour or two. One thing that got me immediately on the Aston was the sound - absolutely amazing!

Do you do many miles in your AMV8? Is it your main car? Any relaiblity issues? I was reading the Evo long term review on the AMV8 and sounded like the owner had a 'few' problems with it in his ownership period but sold it for the same price he bought it!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 88112

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alanjf
Back