Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Mega Manthey

Seagull

The guy who supplied my new silencers was telling me today about his mate who has just sold his Mk I GT3 with "Manthey tweaks" and is waiting for his new 997 GT3 RS to be delivered. Naturally, I said, "Was it a yellow one?" so he said "No, it was Zanzibar and he spent £40,000 on upgrades for it." Bearing in mind what Sundeep has got for Mantheyman's £12,000 to Herr Manthey, WTF do you get for £40,000?

It seems he sold it for £48,000 - $hit, I'd have given him 50. :(

Migration info. Legacy thread was 87266

That was Russell's old car that went to John... it was a brilliant car that was setup beautifully and had virtually every major component of the car fettled/rebuilt. Considering the car had a lifetime of upgrades from original and maintenance over 55k miles, £40k is not so unreasonable (and not all was spent on Manthey!).

Migration info. Legacy thread was 87271

That's a lot to spend on upgrades - more than my whole car is worth!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 87302

I think you need to look at upgrades as "improved components on bits you otherwise have to change anyway". Many early 996s are getting tired, if not already, and there are quite a few components which will need changing. If there is a need to change them, OEM is not always the best route imho especially if looking for a higher performing/more capable/longer lasting item.

Take suspension for example... how many owners of a 996>40k miles have changed their suspension? The OEM dampers get tired and start to lose their effectiveness after 30-35k miles - especially if the car has been used as intended, or the car has spent a lot of time in urban (bumpy) environments. OEM suspension certainly isn't cheap, and whilst it is probably less expensive than Manthey KWs (for example), the marginal cost to upgrade to Manthey KWs is far less than the sticker price. The added bonus is that the Manthey KWs are a far superior component that is better built and designed, lasts longer, is higher performing, and will make a significant improvement on the car.

If I were in the market for a used 996, I'd like to see that the PO has spent the money on getting a number of key components "right" (or improved) during the lifetime of the car. Sadly, there are a lot of dogs out there where the car has only had regular services and major components have been left to run far beyond their best-by-date... :?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 87309

I think my suspension needs a change (48K miles) - hadn't thought of going Manthey though. May find out the cost - cheers Aid.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 87329

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back