Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Oily smoke on startup

vlad

Hi, have noticed since the cold snap we are currently in (its been -1 the last couple of mornings), that when I start my car I get an acrid oil smoke cloud from the exhaust for the first 10 seconds - it clears quite quickly and then its just steam until everything warms up.

The car is kept garaged overnight and is level. I have heard that a little oil can seep into the bores and the oil on startup isn't uncommon with the flat six boxer configuration we have.

But was wondering why its more pronounced in the cold weather - I hadn't noticed any oily smoke on start up up to this poing - in 2K miles of motoring over my 3 months of ownership. And the car to date has only used 1 bar of oil - which I'll obviously now keep a close eye on!

Any thoughts ? Any ideas why this has just started? is it something I should be worrying about?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 87057

Not sure about the cold weather, but this normally happens when the car has been running hotter than usual immediately prior to switching off. The oil seepage is usually along the valve guides, but is nothing to be too worried about as long as the car is not over-filled. 1bar of oil in 2k miles is quite good/normal.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 87064

very normal Vlad,

if it goes after a few seconds dont worry,

Migration info. Legacy thread was 87071

Mine does it too. I think it is just more noticable on a cold winters morning.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 87077

is this waterpumper specific??.................the only time Ive noticed it with mine was when I started it after I SORN'd it over September,I taxed it again beginning of October and have used it every few days and not noticed any smoke

Migration info. Legacy thread was 87079

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Rodders on 03 November 2006
is this waterpumper specific??
Dunno, but we should probably try to start a rumor ;-)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 87219

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Rodders on 03 November 2006
is this waterpumper specific??.................the only time Ive noticed it with mine was when I started it after I SORN'd it over September,I taxed it again beginning of October and have used it every few days and not noticed any smoke

Nope - it happened regularly with my previous 993. :wink:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 87221

It's a lot worse on TT's and i only ever got it on my C4S when it was overfilled by the OPC :roll:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 87222

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by ian_uk on 03 November 2006

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Rodders on 03 November 2006

is this waterpumper specific??
Dunno, but we should probably try to start a rumor ;-)

sounds like a plan :twisted:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 87226

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
993gtnut
Back