Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 subwoofer

eki912

Trainee
Another try... And it is there ! I used MDF , 0.75" .This box will fit nicely behind the back seat. I tested it already.
/images/migration/UploadedForumImages/129_2914_1(1).JPG

Migration info. Legacy thread was 86282

Yippee , made it !! I mean got the pics loaded..... not easy I have to admit.

So the previous pic was the box taking shape.This one is the topcover already in place , with the speaker hole there. Sadly the pictures here do not show , how the box is narrower at the rear end. But the angled end pieces are clearly visible. That is why , I had hard time getting the top piece to fit nicely , and it did not..... So I have to do some filling before the top vinyl is fitted .
/images/migration/UploadedForumImages/129_2919_1.JPG

Migration info. Legacy thread was 86283

And the last one , the SubBox , and speaker in place. One 8" unit , in a sealed box. This is only the testing period... just wanted to see that the Amp & speaker & box all work. And they did. Notice the Bazooka SubAmp. Also notice the Sony MP3 between the Amp & speaker running the amp for this test.Also notice the brutal way of running the speaker wire under the speaker rim.... shame on me...

Will cover the whole box in Tan Leather ( vinyl?) , and will make hole in the back for the speakerwire connector. You might have noticed that the MDF corners/edges are not totally even.It was a struggle to get those angled ends to match the rear seats & area behind rear seats.... I need to use some filler to cover those areas.And the remaining faults will be hidden under the top vinyl anyway.
/images/migration/UploadedForumImages/129_2922_1.JPG

Migration info. Legacy thread was 86284

Test fitted it yesterday , sounds good.... so far ! If I havent mentioned , with the option # 490 , the Line-Out jack was/is used. Bough the speakerlevel socket , and then a converter to change the speakerlevel back to Line-level/RCA output. Spent plenty time tuning it , playing with level & crossover point , to make it blend in smoothly. Naturally , I am only playing with my ears , so no meters or anything on my disposal.

I had the amp & sub temporarily fitted inside the cabin , at the passenger seat.It saved a lot of running back & forth to the trunk.... as there the Amp will eventually be mounted. Now I know the basic set up of levels , after installation.

Next step is sanding / filling of the rather nasty looking SubBox.... and then covering it with a vinyl or carpet. And then also need to put the wires in , from headunit to trunk , and from the trunk to SubBox. Busy evening ahead....

Migration info. Legacy thread was 86683

deleted.jpg

Hopefully I dont loose much.... it is a special unit , built for that purpose.And as I am using it to run the SubAmp only , I believe the (possible)loss is not that important ?

I had to use that speakerline to RCA converter only , because my SubAmp did not have speakerline inputs. I will also try to put a picture of that unit & set-up , when I am getting forward. Tested the Amp positioning yesterday. I have to fabricate a bracket for it , to make the installation look good. It will sit next to the stock amp , in the trunk.

Also managed to run the wires from the cabin to the trunk yesterday.The speakerwire from the new SubBox to the trunk , and speakerwires from headunit to the trunk. Will continue maybe tomorrow , or weekend. More pics coming later on.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 86890

Here is the "converter" , on top of the SubBox itself.Behind it , the speakerline connector , that I needed too. Ended up soldering extra wires from that speakerconnector all the way to the trunk , will mount this connector there. Beside the SubAmp.Then connecting RCA to RCA . Saved a lot of hassle by doing that , all equipment now there , side by side. Only needed to run the signalwires from speakerout to converter and the speakerwires from SubAmp back to SubBox in the cabin.

Will continue when time permits...
/images/migration/UploadedForumImages/129_2921_1.JPG

Migration info. Legacy thread was 87109

The box in place for trial fitting , and some adjustment.

Sounded OK. Currently waiting for the filler to dry , to continue sanding , and then installing the top vinyl.
/images/migration/UploadedForumImages/129_2953_1.JPG

Migration info. Legacy thread was 87336

Why such a large enclosure for only 1 sub ???

Have you thought of porting it ?

G.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 87337

Glenn, the size of the box is not always an indicator of the size and/or the number of drive units.

Also some speakers are defined as 'boxed' or 'free air', if you were to put a boxed speaker in a ported/open box this can alter its characteristics.

eki912, what sub are you using? Did you glue, screw and seal the box?

Damian

Migration info. Legacy thread was 87338

Sorry , some background details :

Size was calculated from the manufacturers info.They recommended 0.2 cubic feet for a sealed box. There are many places around the Internet giving out the tools to calculate box sizes.It is slightly bigger , than it should be.Mainly because the element needed nearly 10 centimeters of depth....and by doing it that big it fills the whole area behind the backseats. So it sits snugly , dont move up , or down or sideways.It is kind of locked in place with the rearseats.

The Sub element is PARTS EXPRESS companys (?) , DAYTON 8" quattro. I got some info , that GENERALLY sealed boxes are easier to manufacture and tune.....And multiple elements do bring other problems... so I went for the easiest/safest route..... I was thinking also putting 2 elements in there , maybe like 2 Subs , 6x9" ??? That would have been an easy fabrication , and looked good too ?But wanted to be safe. The amount of elements doesnt necessarily make it sound any better , than by using one good element only.

BTW : the pic where it is mounted on its place , I immediately thought of making the top panel slightly larger , sort of overlapping to the rearshelf.... or putting it in an angle too . Maybe creating more space , for like a 10" element....

Migration info. Legacy thread was 87340

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by damianc4s on 04 November 2006

Glenn, the size of the box is not always an indicator of the size and/or the number of drive units.Also some speakers are defined as 'boxed' or 'free air', if you were to put a boxed speaker in a ported/open box this can alter its characteristics.eki912, what sub are you using? Did you glue, screw and seal the box?Damian
Damian,

Yes, aware of that, however, i would have thought a smaller box would have suited the dynamics of a car better, i.e. tighter bass, a large cabinet like that would need a large room to sound it's best i would have thought...

G.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 87343

Now the vinyl is in place. Did some filling & sanding before that.

Sorry , I did not answer to all questions: Yes I screwed & glued it together.Used silicone sealant on every seam. Then screws. All inside seams where then sealed again , with my finger , all the way.I double checked every place. Then fitted the top , with plenty of sealant between the box & top.It came out everywhere... tightened the screws evenly , and the cleaned away the sealant that came out. After that also used sealant on EVERY seam on the outside. So basically , I sealed it 3 times... Except the top 2 times.

And Yes you are right. With the size of a Sub and how many Subs you should/can fit , there are so many options and choices to make. I wanted to build it fast , and be sure that I atleast get something out of it , so I ended up going the safe route.Sealed small box , to element manufacturers recommended size
/images/migration/UploadedForumImages/129_2957_1.JPG
, with a small element that will fit easily .

Migration info. Legacy thread was 87510

Old forum user Unidentified(11139) wrote:

nice job on the sub box! perhaps you could post the dimensions here for us all.

Have a look at this object below, I spotted it on Ebay. Apparently it's an optional extra for the Bose system and sits on the back shelf, this one went for £280. I wonder whats inside...

/images/migration/UploadedForumImages/bose.jpg

Migration info. Legacy thread was 87879

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gpc
Back