Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

GT3 Buyer Beware Horror Story

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tiptronic

Banned
Ok as you all know I have been looking around for a GT3.

on my travels I came accross a black Mk2 with 11k miles 03 plate for sale near Chepstow, asking price £55k, near the top end for a mint GT3.

On viewing I thought a few things didnt add up, condition, repairs etc, and after talking to another forum member my suspisions were aroused further, when he said about a missing chassis sticker under the bonnett etc.

Anyway I got on really well with the garage owner selling it as Sale or Return on behalf of the GT3 owner, and he phone me toady and asked me if I had thought it over.

I explained to him that I thought the car had been a write off from Ireland, and bought over here not on the register and repaired, he said he also now had his suspisions, as I was not the only person to mention it, and as a result he had removed it from his web site, and was sending the car back to its owner.

He informed me that he had asked the owner several times if the car had been a write off, to which the awnser was the same each time, no it has had a small accident in the rear.

Anyway today the garage chap, got confirmation that the car had indeed been a write off in Ireland, and had been transported back here and repaired by the very man claiming that it had never been a write off.

There are a few things to take from this:-

1.Any sales outfit, should check a car thouroughly before putting for sale.

2.Any prespective owner should get a full check over by a professional done on any car that value.

3.Even then a good repair might not be spotted.

4.There are some very bad people out there, who cant be trusted, in this case the actual owner of the GT3.

Finally, I feel it my duty to make you all aware of the car in question, and if I had the registration I would post it on here.

DONT BUY THE 03 GT3 IN BLACK WITH JUST UNDER 11K MILES UNLESS YOU HAVE A SUBSTANTIAL REDUCTION TO REFLECT ITS FORMER WRITE OFF STATUS & THE CURRENT CONDITION.

I hope that you would all do the same if you come accross such a blatant attempt to defraud.

The Sales outfit in question I wont name, as they having discovered said problem have withdrawn from sale, and given back to the owner.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 86146

Bloody hell!
Well done for being so observant.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 86155

more David than me with the observant part, he spotted missing chassis sticker.

TBH, I was just more loud with the indie re the car,

However the big + is the fact that talking of ones purchase on this forum has outed a turd of a car.

some ***** with no access to us, may have purchased it, and may still do, hence my post.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 86157

Hi Daz,

Im new here and this is my first post. :oops:
I have been lurking for a bit, trying to get as much info about 996s as possible before I let lose my barrage of (possibly stupid)questions.

Thanks for the info. Maybe you should post it up on pistonheads too as thats another place potential buyers like me look at? :)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 86158

i dont post on PH,

however is someone wants to cut and paste they are most welcome.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 86161

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Speed Freak on 30 October 2006

i dont post on PH,

however is someone wants to cut and paste they are most welcome.
I don't think it would be a very good idea to put on PH.

They have a 'no naming and shaming' policy, which is a bit of a shame....

Strong hints are strngly encouraged though ;)

G.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 86163

Setting aside the fact that someone is pulling the wool here, do you get what you pay for with the GT3s? With one exception that is an older car, all of the approved used cars on the Porsche GB site are in the region of £60k. If something looks too good to be true, is it?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 86167

That makes me really nervous. Buying a second hand car has never been easy but when you're spending a substantial (for the mere mortals) amount of money on a used car, it's like a mine field, and one wrong step can leave you seriously out of pocket!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 86168

Daz,

I think you just clocked up a point on the 911uk good citizen award scheme.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 86184

Daz, is the buyer beware exactlty right? As you are buying from a dealer you are protected by statute law stating the the sellor is required to state anything that would effect the future value of the vehicle. And being written off would certainly count.

If you bought the car and found out you should be able to get damages in the future - according to our industry lawer anyway (regarding mobile homes). Don't see why it should be different for cars though.

Buying privately though you have no such protection. Does make me very nervous too!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 86185

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by The ghost of Eff on 30 October 2006

Setting aside the fact that someone is pulling the wool here, do you get what you pay for with the GT3s? With one exception that is an older car, all of the approved used cars on the Porsche GB site are in the region of £60k. If something looks too good to be true, is it?

Rich,

This wasant a case of looking good or better than any other deal,

this car was pitched right at the price it should be if was a mint 11k miles 2003 GT3.

A true case of misrepresentation if ever there was one.

Chris,

Interesting comments, though a court case not the best thing maybe after a period of ownership.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 86233

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Speed Freak on 30 October 2006

Previous poster said:
Chris,

Interesting comments, though a court case not the best thing maybe after a period of ownership.
But at least you would have some come back to a dealer - none at all privately!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 86237

Another point worth mentioning is that its not illegal to sell a write off,

neither do you have to inform the purchaser,

the only time a seller breaks the law is if the purchaser asks,' is it or has it been written off'

I had an interesting scenario a few years ago, a getleman came to buy a M3, and part exchange a BMW coupe, I HPI'd the part ex, it was a write off, so i sobviously told him,

he had bought the car from a local dealer, never hpi checked it, i suggested he speak to his solicitor, trading standards and the RAC legal dept as he was a member

The trading standards and the RAC told him the best thing he could do was to advertise the car in the autotrader and say nothing

Allways ask to see the HPI report, most dealers HPI them on line and you can print the report. ( i allways do and give it to the customer and offer to email and fax the report before you come and look at the car) If he hasn't then why

Also remember it only costs teh trade £4.50 to HPi a car if you go direct as a consumer its about £28, as a dealer i can phone or check via the internet, so you can allways do it in the dealers showroom at £4.50 it cost nothing,

Migration info. Legacy thread was 86290

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back