Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

drivers door adjustment

Porsche Events

Old forum user Unidentified(11139) wrote:

I noticed today on my 996 that the drivers door doesn't seem to close as flush as the passenger side. Where the back of the door meets the rear quarter it sits about 4mm pround as if it needs pushing in a touch more. The only adjustment i can see is on the latch fixed to the body, it has a star shaped head on it. I think that if i can adjust that by moving it in a few mm the door will close flush.

All the gaps and panels are straight and the door is solid on it's hinges so i think the latch fixed to the bodywork has worked its way out, feels tight though but on closer inspection there seems to be an old position mark.

Has anyone else had to do this, and do i need a special tool to release the latch bolts?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 83839

all sorted now, just been out in the cold and dark to have another look and found a T40 torx bit fits it nicely. The bolts were quite loose so i presume they've worked their way loose over time and allowed the latch to move out. So nudged it back in and tightened the bolts up good and tight and hey presto! the door now closes flush and even sounds better when closing, a nice sounding thump instead of a rattle.

Plus an added bonus, took it out for a spin and the wind noise i used to get at 70+ mph has now gone!

Only down side to this operation is that there is a nasty looking rusty patch where the old position was, looks like the door has been closing like this for some time. I'll try a touch up pen but would something like this be covered under the anti corrosion warranty (10years)?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 83857

good work JP, hard to believe the latch had moved ! but thanksfully solved

Migration info. Legacy thread was 83863

yea, a bit wierd but after 7 years of opening and closing, one can imagine it's possible. It may even have been like this from new...who knows.

I'll double check it tomorrow in the light I think.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 83932

It is a well known corrosion point. Worth trying the warranty on.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 83937

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mapp
Back