Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

leaking Rad again!

Tiptronic

Banned
I think its the rad, the drivers side, found a pool of what looked like coolant under the car this morning int he garage.

advice, not a big pool, approx 20ml,

think it is coolant, however cant be sure,

it is not likley to be brake fluid there, and i checked the fluid, and it was fine, and the coolant seemed fine also.

however i have been losing coolant for a long time though never noticed a leak on the garage floor before.

do you think it is safe for me to do Bedford tomorow, provided i take some with me?

coolant that is?

i will book into opc for next week.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 80511

[quote:wPHJEH0otF="Previous poster"]Quote: Originally posted by Speed Freak on 13 October 2006I think its the rad, the drivers side, found a pool of what looked like coolant under the car this morning int he garage.
advice, not a big pool, approx 20ml,
think it is coolant, however cant be sure,
it is not likley to be brake fluid there, and i checked the fluid, and it was fine, and the coolant seemed fine also.
however i have been losing coolant for a long time though never noticed a leak on the garage floor before.
do you think it is safe for me to do Bedford tomorow, provided i take some with me?
coolant that is?
i will book into opc for next week.

[/QUOTE]Advice???

You asked for it.......

Buy a 993!!
:wink:

Seriously, no way would I risk it on the track, who knows what damage might occur at track extremes?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 80512

I agree - what if the rad busts under pressure and dumps a load of fluid under your wheels?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 80514

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Fuchs on 13 October 2006

I agree - what if the rad busts under pressure and dumps a load of fluid under your wheels?
Might make him go faster..... :twisted:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 80515

Pure GT boys had really bad leaks from theirs on the way to the ring a couple of months ago,

just bent the fins over and tracked for a couple of days on the ring, though i am worried

question the one on the drivers side, is that air con or coolant

i am driving it all day today, and going to see what happens to the level if anything

may not do track day tomorow, however will still drive it up to Leiscter, and keep close eye on it.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 80516

try tasting the pool of water................if its sickly sweet its coolant..........if it isn't it's either water/condensation from the A/C or cats piss

Migration info. Legacy thread was 80520

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Speed Freak on 13 October 2006

may not do track day tomorow, however will still drive it up to Leiscter, and keep close eye on it.
Daz, what way you going to Leicester??

Migration info. Legacy thread was 80524

last time i did bedford i still had my leaky rads. only got then fixed after. might not have been the wisest course of action having read the above, but nothing bad happened, topped it up the following week...

Migration info. Legacy thread was 80525

Rob,

dont know yet, leaving it to the car to decide (sat nav that is)

driven 20miles this morning, left it standing, not a drop so far,

very odd

Migration info. Legacy thread was 80531

Daz,

Surely it is unlikely the actual rad is leaking / perforated - much more likely to be the connection between the pipes and the rad - on a lesser car it could be as simple as tightening a hose clamp - have you tried that?

LJ

Migration info. Legacy thread was 80533

Daz, If you've been leaving the A/C on then it is most likely a bit of condensation from the condenser plate rather than a coolant leak, especially at 20ml. It has been fairly humid recently and this is to be expected. Also, even under track conditions it seems unlikely that this will have a massive impact on the cooling systems internal pressure (and therefore the likelihood of 'bursting' anything expensive). If anything untoward is going on, most likely you will notice it first by a rise in the water temp gauge, in which case you can stop just in case. Hope this helps, wouldn't want you to miss an otherwise potentially perfect track day. Regards, Bob.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 80539

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Bob.Boughtflower on 13 October 2006

Daz, If you've been leaving the A/C on then it is most likely a bit of condensation from the condenser plate rather than a coolant leak, especially at 20ml. It has been fairly humid recently and this is to be expected. Also, even under track conditions it seems unlikely that this will have a massive impact on the cooling systems internal pressure (and therefore the likelihood of 'bursting' anything expensive). If anything untoward is going on, most likely you will notice it first by a rise in the water temp gauge, in which case you can stop just in case. Hope this helps, wouldn't want you to miss an otherwise potentially perfect track day. Regards, Bob.

thks for that bob,

is this where the condensor is?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 80542

Daz, Not sure of the anatomy of a 996, but ordinarily if the A/C has been on then its reasonable to expect some condensed water underneath the car (any car). I'd still say that whatever, if you keep an eye on the temp gauge it will pre-warn you of any impending rise in cooling system temp and therefore pressure (and probably confirm that coolant level is dropping at the same time). Cheers, Bob.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 80544

Daz are you sure it's the rad? If it was leaking a little bit when the car's in the garage, engine cool, then it'll be puking out when you take it for a long drive and the pressure is high. The fact that there's no sign of leak at all after a 20mile drive suggest it's not pressure related. I'd go with Bob and say it's prob ac condensation.

The car probably just wet itself seeing you coming towards it, thinking "oh sh*t, it's that nutter again!"

Migration info. Legacy thread was 80546

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
993gtnut
Back