Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Exhaust Out of Vent!

Barry Everett

Hi,

My Left-Hand Drive 1981 911SC is now smoking exhaust fumes out of the drivers (left) screen vent! :eek:

I've got new heat-exchangers, so somewhere the exaust gas is getting into the ventalation system. Not sure where to start looking. Any ideas ?

It's also making a "chirping" sound when accelerating?! Is this connected to the leak or yet another problem ? :?

Any comments or helpful suggestions appreciated! I was wanting to sell it, but need to fix this up first. Wouldn't want to gas the prospective purchaser on their test drive! :(

Cheers,

Barry.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 78694

hmmmm....

it's now booked into the Porsche garage (next Tuesday) to take a look. I'll post back the cause & solution.

B.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 79582

ok, found the answers.

1. exhaust out of the vents was due to the heat control valves being so rusty they were none existant, so exhaust gas got into the ventaliation system. Replacing these should solve the problem.

2. noise/chirping was from the emission control pipe leaking, so again related to exhaust. Solution was to bin the whole emission control stuff, pump, pipes, etc. and slap some blanking plugs.

Funny.... feel like I'm talking to myself here!

B.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 86183

i read your story, I am no help mechanically whatsoever so no point in me posting, but I am glad you are now all sorted.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 86187

Also Glad to hear it's sorted - I guess our knowledge on here doesn't stretch back to 1981!

Always good to see the answers though!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 86192

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclassicauto
Back