Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 coupe speakers

Porsche Events

Old forum user Unidentified(11139) wrote:

I get the feeling that most of us are unhappy with the standard fit speaker system in our 996's. I've not long had my 996 coupe and to be honest it's got to be the worst system I've ever had in any car. I love the comments about not needing a stereo when you've got such a lovely sounding engine but there are times when you can't open both windows...like in the rain.

Anyway, i'm pretty handy when it comes to sound systems and after inspecting the standard system in my 996 i'm pretty sure it can be improved quite simply, however, I have a few questions for you guys before I start cutting wires:

1. Can the CR22 head unit be replaced easily, most cars with a standard DIN slot also use the ISO wiring standard, I've heard somewhere that if the CR22 is removed and then re-installed it's a trip to the OPC to get it coded???? (i do have the code for the stereo) but there is a flashing red LED on it when the car is locked so i'm reluctant to just pull it out.

2. Is there an amp fitted to the standard system hidden away somewhere?

3. Has anyone upgraded their speakers (2 on top of dash and 2 in the rear quarters) and if so, with what. All 4 speakers look to be 10cm but have an awkward 3 point fixing which I can't find anything to match.

4. Has anyone attempted to fit a sub in a 996 coupe and where?

I'll let you all know how i get on, in the mean time any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 78683

1. yes, an easy switch to say a Becker Traffic Pro HS unit, which is far superior

2. depends on you car, check undreneath the pax seat on in the pax door pocket

3. there are co's that do replacement 996 speakers

4. alpine do a compact sub that can be fitted under pax seat

Migration info. Legacy thread was 78770

thanx for the info, but can i swap the CDR22 for any stereo?..pioneer, sony etc... using standard ISO's?

What co's supply replacement speakers?

do you have the model no. of the alpine sub?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 78774

CDR22, does swap for the Becker units directly, but you may need to get an adapter lead for other manufacturers but not too hard...

although the Beckers are recommended !

replacement speakers, have a word with these chaps
http://www.autoaudio.uk.com/

and it's the Alpine SWD-1600 Enclosure

Migration info. Legacy thread was 78793

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by oceancarrera on 08 October 2006

SD, are you getting the rear speakers?
unless I can find a 5 years old who can get in the back to fit them ?

so will just upgrade the front units to surround spec if I can find some..

Migration info. Legacy thread was 78796

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Sundeep on 08 October 2006
Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by oceancarrera on 08 October 2006SD, are you getting the rear speakers?
unless I can find a 5 years old who can get in the back to fit them ?
[/i:Hswf5kHZ4x]

LOL! Yeah, he often belongs behind a cage... :twisted:
Let me know what front units you find as I've actually been wanting to upgrade the fronts of mine as well. IIRC, they aren't even 6x4s... something like 5x3s or something more suitable for headrest speakers :(

Migration info. Legacy thread was 78805

the sound of the 4 spkr systm is sh*ite,

you need door speakers, an amp and a sub behind the rear seats

Migration info. Legacy thread was 78849

the Alpine SWD-1600 looks like a good unit. They sell them in Halfords for £149, not bad i say, however, the lad trying to sell it to me didn't know much about it and i wanted to know if was powered by the rca leads from the stereo or would i have to give it a live from the battery and earth etc...anybody know.

All 4 speakers are 10cm but i'm going to need a converter to put off the shelf speakers in, does anyone know where to source such things.

Has anyone fitted larger speakers in the back, there's plenty of room to get say a 14" mid-range in but nothing to bolt it to.

One other thing, is there a way of converting the speaker connecting block rather than cut it off.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 78918

[quote:z3fvtR9JCC="Previous poster"]Quote: Originally posted by oceancarrera on 08 October 2006[quote:z3fvtR9JCC="Previous poster"]Quote: [i:z3fvtR9JCC]Originally posted by Sundeep on 08 October 2006[quote:z3fvtR9JCC="Previous poster"]Quote: [i:z3fvtR9JCC]Originally posted by oceancarrera on 08 October 2006SD, are you getting the rear speakers?[/QUOTE]unless I can find a 5 years old who can get in the back to fit them ?
[/QUOTE]LOL! Yeah, he often belongs behind a cage... :twisted:
Let me know what front units you find as I've actually been wanting to upgrade the fronts of mine as well. IIRC, they aren't even 6x4s... something like 5x3s or something more suitable for headrest speakers :(
[/QUOTE]Sundeep / Adrien,[/i:z3fvtR9JCC]

keep me in the loop with what you do. I rarely listen to the CD/radio, but on the odd occasion I do the sound is junk.

edited to add : my musical taste is also junk so probably doesn't make that much difference anyway

Migration info. Legacy thread was 78919

Out of curiousity, to what extent are speaker/amp/head upgrades able to get over the ambient racket of a 993?

What should one budget for a decent system, not something silly or invasive on the car...?

The Sony head unit in mine is good- I am considering getting some decent speakers, and an amp and sub if it is not too problematic.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 78924

I just bought a Becker Grand Prix 7990 and the Becker Ipod adapter. I bought Becker as its the same colour scheme as the original CR22. IMHO a blaupunkt/pioneer/sony would look seriously bling and out of place! (especially as I have an all black leather interior)

The only bad thing about the new Becker stereo is that the letters/digits are in black, the background is yellow. This is opposite to the original CR22, which had letters/digits in yellow, background in black. Shame, but it doesnt keep me awake at night...

The ipod lead isnt quite long enough to go in the 'glovebox' between the two seats (behind the handbrake), so put it in the little bays under the stereo, or glovebox if you have one (when plugged in, the ipod is locked, the stereo controls everything, so you dont need to access the ipod). Also note the ipod connector takes up the slot for the CD changer, so you cant use the CD changer anymore.

AMP - I have one in the front boot compartment. If you change your stereo unit and get no sound, its because you need to check the wiring of the plug that goes into the back of the stereo unit. You need to add a wire that tells the amp to turn on (see the wiring diagram in the instructions).

I am very keen to replace the 6 speakers I have (2 on dash, 2 front door, 2 rear) so if anyone finds decent replacements that do it easily, please let me know.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 79526

From what I've found out, there doesn't seem to be any converter brackets available so we can fit off the shelf speakers so i've started to draw-up some specs and a pattern to create my own based on replacing the dash and rear speakers with decent 10cm speakers.

Once i've got it right I will post the pattern here if I can with some pictures.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 79553

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by wagonface on 10 October 2006

I am very keen to replace the 6 speakers I have (2 on dash, 2 front door, 2 rear) so if anyone finds decent replacements that do it easily, please let me know.
count yourself lucky you have 6, i've only now got 2 in the top of the dash !

Migration info. Legacy thread was 79562

I know you guys would like to stick to a Becker head unit but what do you think of this Pioneer? I think it's quite suited to the Porsche, all black with a little hint of alloy and only £50 quid on Ebay (£120 in Halfrauds) plus it's got line-out for an amp.

/images/migration/UploadedForumImages/deh-1800r(1).jpg

Migration info. Legacy thread was 79596

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Camarocane
Back