Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 Heated Seat Wiring Problem

SeanD

Suzuka
Ok, this is starting to really annoy me.

A while back the car developed a very intermittent fault where the heated seat will come on its own. The indicator goes to red and sometimes flashes and sometimes is on for longer periods, coming and going with acceleration and braking. Changing the height of the seat makes it go away (or restart).

I dropped it into Reading as soon as it started happening. Unfortunately wiring is excluded from the warranty so I paid for hours and some connections to be re-made. Thought it was fixed but I adjusted the seat tonight and it has started again. Arghhh!

Anyone had this before? If so what was the solution?

Also I am travelling for the next couple of weeks so she will be in the barn under the cover. Does anyone know if the heated seat circuit is totally isolated when the ignition is off? Just a bit wary of wiring faults and the possibility of fire.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 78577

Looks like you are on your own with this one - soory I can't hep. Once you find out what it is though, post up the answer.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 78634

Sounds like faulty timer relay under seat, this runs the heated seats and is supplied with a constant power, so could techically run the seat heating with the key out.

PS This will flatten the battery very quickly.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 84387

Thanks for this. Luckily it only does it in certain seat positions and when teh car is moving. It is booked into the OPC and I will tell them where to look!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 84417

Sean

Mine does this - did you ever sort it out ?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 127658

Whatever it is, I'd whip the fuse out 'til its sorted.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 128183

It was fixed and then it came back. I have been told that the timer relay is the issue, apparently quite fragile.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 128285

AFAIK yes

Migration info. Legacy thread was 128427

Sean did you get this fixed under warranty in the end??

The switches, relays & control units are all covered.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 128434

The final fix yes (although I have a suspicion it has come back), but not the initial one. Wiring is not covered so when they initially stripped it out, did a bit of soldering and added some extra insulation I had to stick my hand in my pocket. We will be having a negociation at the next service mind you.

The relay is covered, as it is a component of the electrical system.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 128447

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yewcorner
Back