Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Buying a 964 Targa

Piers

I have been looking at a 964 Targa, which is a 1991 car in red. To my eyes it looks to be a great condition with full service history etc. I test drove it last week and I have never driven a 964, only a 996, and I loved it. However, I was a little surprised by the amount of noise the targa roof made, it made quite a lot of jiggling noises. Is this normal? I was interested in a Targa because money wise I'm in 964 territory and there are not many about with air-con, so the ability to remove the roof seemed great. Just not sure I can live with the noise from the roof.

However, having said that it has a sports exhaust and sounds fab, the interior is excellent and it has fully electric sport seat, which look as new. Very tempted but would appreciate views on the roof.

Thanks

Piers

Migration info. Legacy thread was 76203

I have a 3.2 targa and the wind noise is bearable with or without the roof. A lot depend on how it is replaced though, sometimes it sits better on the rubber seals than others.

Just reread your post and you say jiggling noises... as in creaking or squeaking, could be the roof may need a refurb. got the inner and outer lining done on mine for about £500 by Southbound.

HTH

Migration info. Legacy thread was 76207

Yes, basically it rattled more than I expected, which from your post doesn't seem normal. I suppose this suggests that either it doesn't fit quite right for whatever reason or the chassis has lost ridgidity for some reason.

Hmmmm, I really liked the car. . .

Piers

Migration info. Legacy thread was 76210

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Piers on 25 September 2006

I was interested in a Targa because money wise I'm in 964 territory and there are not many about with air-con, so the ability to remove the roof seemed great. Just not sure I can live with the noise from the roof.
Are you looking for a targa because you don't want to be in a hot car without a/c or because you like the targa's looks and open roofed-ness?

If it's just the a/c then probably 50% of the c4 coupes I looked at had a/c of which nearly all didn't work. However I just got mine re-gassed at 9m for £100 which included checking the system over first and it's now excellent. Almost better than in my 2002 golf!

Plus if you get a 964 coupe you get to drive the best looking 911 ever IMHO :D

Anyway goodluck in your hunt!

Will

Migration info. Legacy thread was 76213

Well, I quite like open motoring, I like the spec of this particular Targa but looks wise I do prefer the coupe. Going to look at some at 911 virgin tomorrow so I'll see how I get on.

Piers

Migration info. Legacy thread was 76245

Targa is the best of both worlds.... you can actually get passengers in the back, which is a bonus!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 76247

Thanks for all the help. I missed out on the Targa but have just purchased a 964 coupe in guards red. Very excited about it -

so thanks again everyone.

Piers LoFi

Migration info. Legacy thread was 79342

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Piers on 09 October 2006
Thanks for all the help. I missed out on the Targa but have just purchased a 964 coupe in guards red. Very excited about it -

so thanks again everyone.

Piers LoFi
Congrats. Was it from Virgin??

Post some pictures,

Migration info. Legacy thread was 79551

Not from 911virgin but from Paragon. Haven't collected it yet so still very excited. Photos can be viewed at
My 964

Migration info. Legacy thread was 79650

Lovely looking car piers! good choice, 964 C4 coupe is deffo the way to go. Not that i'm biased :)

When are you collecting it?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 79654

Glad you like the look of it :lol:
There are no interior pics but it is black with red piping and completely mint (except for that some of the powder coat has lifted off one of the wiper arms).

I am very much hoping to collect it this weekend, Saturday if possible. The only hold up is transfering a number plate, which means I am relying on the DVLA. In the meantime it's being serviced and MOTed. Got the Insurance sorted today so with luck this weekend. Fingers crossed.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 79663

Welcome to the best kep secret in Porscheland ... that 964s are the cool hip 911 to have these days.

Ian.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 79673

Collecting at 2:30 Saturday, can hardly wait. . . .

Migration info. Legacy thread was 80792

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Piers on 14 October 2006

Collecting at 2:30 Saturday, can hardly wait. . . .
Congratulations - don't forget pictures once you get her home!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 80794

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back