Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 Targa - squeak & creak free

littlee

I know that there have been a few posts regarding the "character" of the 996 (and 993?) Targa - that is, it tends to creak a little - and that there's very little one can do to remove the problem completely, and it's best just to live with it, because that glass roof is great (which it is). However, I have found the noise to be a little irritating at times and so have devised a little method for significantly reducing the noise - I'm probably not saying anything that old Targa hands don't know, but those new to the variant might find it useful.

1. Get some decent silicon lubricant grease - I happened to have some trade stuff around from a company called Polypipe plc.

2. Clean your car, especially the roof section

3. Drop the roof panel slightly, so that there's about an inch clearance at the front.

4. Thoroughly clean the roof edge and any places in the opening where the roof makes contact, including the wind deflector and the wind deflector guides - the spring loaded levers at the front of the roof aperture. If in any doubt, clean it all.

5. Apply the silicon lubricant to the underside of the rubber seals, the metal frame in the roof (where the glass panel sits), the top edge of the wind deflector, and the wind deflector guides. I use my finger for this, but a cloth or decent brush would work as well.

Go for a drive. I find that this tends to keep the noise down to near zero for anything up to 6 weeks.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 73513

My roof is nice an quiet it is the squeek iside the dashboard on certain road surfaces that is driving me nuts!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 73516

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlas.997
Back