Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 Coolant

Mike Mearns

It has been a few months since I checked my coolant levels, but when I checked on Saturday, it took about a pint of water to get the coolant level up to where it should be. Is this normal, or would this suggest I have maybe got a small leak.

I checked the levels when the car was cold !, and water is never visible in my garage, although, the engine is not under any pressure in my garage.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 73448

Mike,

Check your expansion tank as I recently had a problem with a small leak on mine. I have been told that this part is problematic with the 996. However you probably won't be able to see the bottom of it so dried coolant residue underneath it (in the engine bay) or on some of the "pipes" when viewed from underneath the car will tell if this is the problem.

I am not sure what is "normal" use of water/coolant so if no symptoms of leak, you could have just had an air lock (which is obviously fixed by simply topping up).

Migration info. Legacy thread was 73450

Mike,

a few of us on here suffer with a little coolant loss,

mine is under ext wtty, and I have had both front rads replaced, and am told the system is now fine, however it does use a little water still and has done since I purchased it, just top it up now, and put it down to the car.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 73454

Mike,

I recently had to have all 3 rads replaced + water pump due to coolant leakage (all covered by wtty)

Only symptom I ever noticed was a little coolant loss. i.e. no drips on the garage floor etc.

If you're not under extended wtty, then a trip to your local indy might be in order if your levels continue to drop after topping up.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 73462

Hi Guys,

Apologies for ignorance, but how/where do I check the coolant levels on my 996 C2 cab? And I assume from these posts that its fine to top up with water?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 74228

Robert,

Mine was cracked at the bottom so if you don't pull it out you probably won't see any crack. Sure sign is that you will find the "acidic" residue (looks dry and flaky) from the dried coolant that has leaked in the engine bay.

I noticed this in my engine bay however thought that maybe some coolant was spilt during top up - obviously not the case.

I haven't tried to have a look underneath the tank so maybe just "feel around" underneath as myself and probably every other "non-mechanic" amateur would!

Joshua, I assume the cab is the same as the coupe so you will find a plastic "tank" with a blue cap (with a triangle hazard symbol marked on top) on the left hand side of the engine bay (obviously when viewed from the rear of the car).

It will have "min" and "max" marked on the side. Normally coolant is mixed with water during a full flush of the system (apparently these cars will take 16 Litres of water/coolant).

If you haven't checked for a while I would use coolant only although I suppose you could simply top up with a water/coolant mix - I can't see why there would be a problem - although there are guys here with more experience than myself who may have a different opinion.

I have been told by my "Porsche Guy" that with the 996's only use the genuine Porsche coolant as it is the best for this model (incidentally he uses BMW coolant for 928's for the same reason) however it is relatively expensive as far as coolant goes. In Australia, it's $27 odd per litre.

He put 6 Litres of coolant in mine so you are looking about a third mix coolant to water.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 74328

think i may have a cracked header tank- about 2 litres of coolant dripped from under left hand rear side after driving home from work about 3 miles- stopped dripping after half hour- local chappie thinks small crack in under side of tank. he`s not yet given me cost to fix..... watch this space.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 74631

yep- there was a tiny weney crack on the underside of the header tank- total bill including a hand break adjustment £215-00 (parts were £140-00) result i would say- riverside even cleaned her for me.great service! she`s flyin again.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 75756

yep - a tiny winey crack on the back underside of the tank- replaced at a cost of £215-00 inc parts. (£140 new tank) result i would say. riverside even cleaned her . she`s flyin again!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 75758

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back