Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 Horror Week

Car has just had it's annual service done about 2 weeks ago and I have just noticed an oil drip.

Took a look from behind and noticed that the sump was pretty clean so today my worst fears were realised - main engine seal is cactus!

Porsche have been pretty good and have come to the party in respect of covering the cost of replacement (possibly an issue on these early 996's) although the car is not in warranty (about AUD$1,500).

Although, they have also diagnosed a "wearing" synchro on second which has me astonished given the car has only travelled 53,000 km's in 8 years of it's life. Unfortunately I have to fork out the AUD$3,000-$4,000 for that one! I can understand the seal going as these can perish now that the vehicle is getting everyday use although it is a bit mysterious that it wasn't leaking prior to the service being undertaken. The synchro is an issue though because the vehicle hasn't been driven that hard (the PO was a friend of mine).

Apparently not all tooling is available to do a synchro change at this stage and Porsche dealers in Australia have been installing factory reconditioned boxes at a cost of $16,000 to fix this problem - does this sound right to you guys?? (apparently tools etc will happen in the next month or so).

Migration info. Legacy thread was 70027

I am very cynical about that - if you as the driver never noticed any gearchange troubles tell them to skip it. If you want to be sure then take the car to an expert and ask them for a report on it - bet they don't notice it either.

LJ

Migration info. Legacy thread was 70032

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Sundeep on 16 August 2006

996 + oil leak = RMS = $$$$ or ?
or ? time for a 993 :wink:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 70069

Oil leak is the main seal - Porsche are replacing and covering the cost - so that's pretty good of them.

I thought the same as you guys re the synchro. It's fine at the moment so I will see how I go.

993 solution sounds pretty good to although far more expensive and I unfortunately don't have the garage space at the moment!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 70293

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Sundeep on 16 August 2006

996 + oil leak = RMS = $$$$ or ?
Now Sundeep, surely not right for a moderator to be encouraging such tosh...!

RMS, IF not covered by warranty, just wait for next clutch change and get done for a few hundred squids...if you can't take that on the nose then I don't think any 911's are the way to go...!

rant.gif
:D

PS hope you have SAFE fun at the Ring...
driving.gif

Migration info. Legacy thread was 70294

Hi Peter

If you're in Sydney I can recommend a good Porsche mechanic in Glebe, small shop father and son team.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 72337

Nick,

That would be great, appreciate it. A mate, has recommended a fellow in Peakhurst - The Pit Exchange. I have gone down and had a chat to this guy who seems pretty good but would appreciate if you could send me the details of your guy.

Are you around the inner west?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 72390

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lb456
Back