Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Changing Oil on 964

GJL

Hi Guys

My oil gauge doesn't float up even after a long run and the dipstick looks low. It is some time to the next service. Is it straightfoward to top up the oil? (do you just pour down in the tube?) What oil do you use?

Also - does anyone else get a really hot cabin when driving?

Cheers

Migration info. Legacy thread was 68636

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by GJL on 07 August 2006

Also - does anyone else get a really hot cabin when driving?

Cheers
only if i have the heating on - :wink:

serious part now - topping up the oil should be a doddle - get the engine up to operating temp, keep the engine running, park on a flat surface and add a small amount at a time, checking the dipstick after each amount is poured.Maybe check your handbook as well to see if there are any tips relating to your model.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 68638

The manual that I have doesn't actually say anything about how it's done! It wouldn't have occured to me that it had to be done with the engine warm and running, so thanks for that.

I get a lot of heat coming out from right hand side of the drive shaft tunnel and under the glovebox, have to drive with the aircon on the whole time to cope!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 68641

sounds like you have a heating vent on even when it should be closed - at your next service maybe get them to check it out for you.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 68643

ditto from what Fuchs has said...

as for the hear problem.. could be anything, you may be missing a heat sheld or a fualt with the air con, i.e. heat mixers no set properly, etc etc

Migration info. Legacy thread was 68644

The heating one is interesting, I was in the passenger seat of my 3.2 the other weekend and noticed the same thing. Obviously when it is dead hot, and you don't have aircon, this is a crap state of affairs.

Had the car check on friday and the flapper boxes in the rear were open and working correctly. However, the passenger side fan is dead. Unless there is some electronic component that has gone hay wire and turning the heating on and off, I am guessing that as the fan is dead, it is letting hot air through into the cabin.

Even though the flapper boxes are open to vent hot air out into the world, there must be an amount of air that still travels down the pipes into the cabin. It is noticeably better when the car is moving.

Maybe you have either a similar problem, or your flapper boxes are sticking in the closed position, ensuring that you get hot air in.

Of course it also doesn't help with hot oil pipes running down the side of the car, I have noticed that these things are pretty warm places to be anyway.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 68645

i had the flapper boxes go permanently closed on my 3.2 2 weeks after i bought it, just as winter was beginning - couldnt get it fixed for 2 weeks so had to drive to work looking like a yeti - much to the amusement of my collegues - but it was an easy fix......

Migration info. Legacy thread was 68651

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by GJL on 07 August 2006

Hi Guys

My oil gauge doesn't float up even after a long run and the dipstick looks low. It is some time to the next service. Is it straightfoward to top up the oil? (do you just pour down in the tube?) What oil do you use?
Can you go by the oil float on the dash as a good idea of how much oil the engine has ? Mine only just comes off the red following a long ish drive !

Dan

Migration info. Legacy thread was 68652

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scratch
Back