Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

warning lights at 5000 rpm

richardofengland

996 C4 when getting upto 5000 rpm the PSM and ABS orange dash lights come on.

Turn ignition off and re-start and they are off again.

any thoughts

thanks Richard

Migration info. Legacy thread was 67822

your air mass sensor is faulty .the psm/abs is linked to the throttle this quite common on 996 C4

Migration info. Legacy thread was 67874

Thanks for reply,

is this a simple job as I was thinking abut service anyway and will ask them to check this out

thanks

Richard

Migration info. Legacy thread was 67890

I don't know what year your car is, but there was an issue on pre-facelift 996s that caused the PSM and ABS light to come on and had nothing whatsoever to do with the MAF or any other engine related sensors. This involved an intermittent contact inside the brake pedal switch - the one that sits just above the brake pedal inside the car and switches on the brake lights when you press the pedal. On my old ('99) C4, these things used to fail with monotonous regularity. I even kept a spare in the door pocket! They only cost about £12 (IIRC) to buy and take about 3 minutes to fit as a DIY. The reason this caused the PSM and ABS lights to come on is that both systems rely on this switch to sense whether the car is under braking or not. Broken switch = no PSM or ABS, hence the lights.Iif you're not getting any performance degradation or other issues it's certainly worth checking - the easiest way is simply to see if your brake lights are working properly when the ABS/PSM lights come on.

Ian W

Migration info. Legacy thread was 68829

no it will be the maf sensor if you are revving the car at 5,000 rpm and the lights come on as the signal from the dme is cut thus turning off the the psm system .if there is a problem with the brake lamp switch it will not put any lights on whilst you are accelerating .when the maf sensor is faulty will enter two faults one in the psm system and one in the dme fault memory

Migration info. Legacy thread was 68887

Little trip down to Northway today and it was the MAF sensor. no more lights at 5000 rpm+.

thanks

Migration info. Legacy thread was 69971

Hi ...had same problem on my 996 C4 tip. Very grateful for your advice..cleaned sensor with carb cleaner..put it back together and problem appears to be solved...took about 30 mins and saved about £250...here's hoping its a permanent solution.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 72528

Yes you are correct...problem back again...guess its a replacement unit now...thanks again for advice

Migration info. Legacy thread was 72740

Fitted new MAF..running fine.no warning lights after 5000rpm..thanks

Migration info. Legacy thread was 75326

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back