Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 BRAKES

Steve Conway

Hello all, I am the proud owner of my first Porsche, a 996 C4. It has the usual problem of corroded inside discs. So it needs the discs and pads replacing all round. Any advice on where to get the Discs and Pads from and how easy are they to fit? Any Special tools required? Quotes I have had are in the region of £900 and I know I could do the job myself!! Cheers All

Migration info. Legacy thread was 67758

Just had mine done on my 993 Targa, Im sure they will be diff spec to the 996 but I paid £500 inc Vat and Fitting at Wrightune in Oxfordshire.

Even aloowing for more expensive parts for the 996, £900 sounds obscene.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 67759

Martyn1, was that using genuine Porsche parts or aftermarket?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 67760

Asim,

I purchased genuine discs/pads/sensors from Solihull OPC in Jan 2005.

Front discs £60.16ea, Front pads £70.33 and sensors £11.73 pr Total £202.38

Rear discs £76.49ea, rear pads £ 47.68 and sensors £10.90 pr Total £211.96

All above prices were after a 20% discount and VAT is still to be applied.

John

96 993 Targa

Migration info. Legacy thread was 67761

Hey John, long time mate :wink:

Pretty good deal on the brakes - did you fit them yourself? Is it a straight forward job?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 67762

Hi Asim,

No I got my local indie to fit them at the same time as a 48k service. I couldn't be bothered mucking about and I did want to find I had problems with the caliper bolts or the plates. The labour cost for my 48k service which included fitting new caps/rotors and engine lid struts and also including fitting discs/pads etc was only £360+VAT.

He said he has had several problems with aftermarket discs which are said to be OE quality.

From what I can gather it ain't a tough job, if you did your suspension then this should be pretty easy.

I'm going to PM you about a different subject.

John

Migration info. Legacy thread was 67786

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by 993_2S on 27 July 2006
Martyn1, was that using genuine Porsche parts or aftermarket?
Genuine Porsche parts. Price included 3 hours labour and VAT. Have to say I was quite impressed and will certainly use Wrightune again.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 67814

Martyn1,

That's a very good deal indeed. I've spoken with Tony and I like his approach, very straightforward.

John

Migration info. Legacy thread was 67823

Well Genuine 996 parts are about £500 all in, so I think I'll have a go at fitting them myself. Any 996 hands on people out there who could give me a tip or two?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 67824

Hmmmm, no hands on 996 guys out there I see..........

Migration info. Legacy thread was 67881

Steve. You will also need a pin set for each axel as the locating pins should not be re-used. Design 911 sell these for about £30 + VAT. Also, if the pad warning light has come on, you will need a new sensor for each wheel. The other thing you will need is an anti-squeel shim for each pad (front) and 2 per pad (rear) The front ones are a dual shim and the rears have one smaller one for each piston.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 67905

Many thanks Seagull, greatly appreciated. The current pads look brand new, its just the discs are corroded on the inside faces. So naturally they need to be replaced. Being my first Porsche, however, the car stops fantastically anyway, even with the corroded brakes, so it'll be a nice job at the end of summer to replace them for next year.

Cheers

Migration info. Legacy thread was 67939

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Autocraft1
Back