Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 BRAKES

howard shenton

I have a 2001 C4 tip which has done 40,000 miles and goes like the clappers but the brakes just don't bite enough for me. The brakes work but I get the uncomfortable feeling that the car would prefer to carry on. Which is a worry at times. I bought the car in Jan 2005 and it was serviced then, and I got it serviced again a year later. So it should be ok.

I would really appreciate any recommendation for a good Porsche garage in or close to Shropshire which could check out the brakes and fix them and not charge an arm and a leg.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 65261

It might be a stupid question but are you really stamping on them? Mine don't really bit unless they are a bit warm and you hit them like a child has just ran out in the road.

I have managed to get about 13K miles out of my last set of pads. I use Autobahn in Coventry to change mine about £175 for pads. Don't know anyone closer than that I am afraid. I would be suprised if the service didn't at least check the condition of the brakes?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 65288

my 996 c2 98 brakes are the same, but been checked over by two different PGB dealers about 3 months ago so they're fine.

when you need to stop I always find that the brakes are there, but when you're a bit soft with them it does feel a bit week on braking power.

I think it partly due to the brake pedal being so firm, I have a vw vento which I use for work and the brake pedal travels a lot before the brakes come on properly, but you get used to how it brakes and compensate etc, on the 911, there is very little travel before you get to the harder feel of the brake pedal, but once you get to the harder feel if you give it a good shove the brakes are really good.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 65312

may be worth changing the brake fluid......

as this has an influence on the feel and the bite effect

Porsche OEM spec is good enough but the alternatives are Castol SRF and Motul RFB600

Migration info. Legacy thread was 65323

I found this when i first got my C4S(even with the Turbo brakes), after coming from heavily servo assisted Golf brakes.

But on my first day of ownership a mother pushed a pram out in front of me from behind a car and when my foot really hit the pedal the car stopped on a ten pence...the brakes work when you need them...and have feel when you apply so you don't headbut the windscreen which is what i did when i got back in the golf and braked for the first time...

Migration info. Legacy thread was 65330

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by F1_Dragon on 04 July 2006

...and have feel when you apply so you don't headbut the windscreen which is what i did when i got back in the golf and braked for the first time...
I did that when I got into a BMW the other day! They bite very quick. :D

Migration info. Legacy thread was 65371

Thanks for all the reponses.

So it seems all our brakes work in the same way. Next time I get a service I will get the fluid changed to see if that makes any difference. I find I use the gears quite a bit to adjust my speed going into corners, which works fine but probably pushes up my fuel consumption. Last 911 I had was a 98 C2 and the brakes on that were much brigher than my current C4. At least until it caught fire on the M1 and got written off ( but that was nothing to do with the brakes).

Migration info. Legacy thread was 65383

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tobytobytoby
Back