Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Blown engines on 996 ?

Diesel130

Hi, Was looking for a early 996, but just spoken to a 'major' porsche independent garage that told me they have stopped selling early (3.4) 996's as the engines blow up with frightening frequency between 50K and 70K miles. Can this be true ? I though 911's were 'bullet proof' compared to other high performance marks. But on further research there are some stories here and on other boards about this problem, and just looking through Top Marques, I see there are quite a few with engine replacments. What are the views of 996 owners out there - has this happened to any of you - or is it a very small percentage of cars that have this problem ? Your thoughts gratefully received. Sounds like the best way forward is to save up for a 3.6 OR buy one that has just has a new engine under warrantee. Martin.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 64885

If you nuy the latest T911 they did an article on it. They said from 5-10% of 996s from 1998 to 2000. They left out the 2001 3.4s from this.

So it is a small %, I have a 2001 3.4, but would only buy an earlier one if it had had the engine replaced after 2001!

Personal opinion though - there are still loads of good one's out there at great prices, I just couldn't afford the risk.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 64915

Ironically, when I was searching for my 996, I did a bit of history checking on cars I was interested in, and the only engine replacements I was aware of was in a 2001 3.4 and a "bargain" 3.6. Later 996 obviously are not immune.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 64920

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by So Poo on 29 June 2006

... They said from 5-10% of 996s from 1998 to 2000. ...

So it is a small %, ...
Hmmm. This is not looking good. Personally I don't call 5 to 10% a small percentage when the repair cost is likely to be nearly half the price of an old 996. Just looking through Top Marques this week, I see one porsche indy has 6 1998 & 1999 model cars for sale, of which 3 have had replacement engines. I wonder if the replacements are guaranteed for any length of time ?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 64921

I think replacement engines were also done by dealers as part of the RMS repair under manufacturers' warranty if the leak was bad enough.

The conclusion of the T911 article was that there is such a low risk of failure (especially now, as presumably if they were going to go, they'd have done so by now...) that it would not let it stop them buying an early car, if it had a few miles on already.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 64922

Here's a very long, not all good news thread on the subject - if you read and absorb the whole thing you will know more than most about the issue.

http://www.911uk.com/forum/display_topic_threads.asp?ForumID=12&TopicID=6180&ReturnPage=&PagePosition=2&ThreadPage=3

Bear in mind that we are shocked and appalled when this happens to a Porsche because we have very high expectations of reliability, other marques similar (and worse) devastating problems go unmentioned.

LJ

Migration info. Legacy thread was 64927

Watty,

Great links - thanks, that was really useful. So, now I'm looking for either an early 996 C2 with a blown engine (at the right price), or one that has been through Autofarm already :)

Martin.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 65038

I have looked long and hard for a 996 with a blown engine, and I dont rekon they ever show up, with places like Autofram probably first on the list.

I would swap my C4S in a heartbeat for a £10k blown 996, put through the Autofram change, a good suspention set up, and a lovely exhaust, and some special alloys, and £20k in the bank, and a faster car.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 65043

When you look at the Autofarm prices compared to an OPV the savings arent that great

The only way i think to protect yourself is to keep the Porsche warranty on the car for as long as possible,

Ive seen 997's having new engines

The 3.6's suffer just the same as 3.4's

theres is a theory that the engines either go be fore 14,000 miles or after 60,000

I'm also told that the latest RMS seal modifaication number 7 has yet to leak,

Perhaps Sid can enlighten us further

Migration info. Legacy thread was 65112

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by mark pearce on 03 July 2006

I'm also told that the latest RMS seal modifaication number 7 has yet to leak,

Perhaps Sid can enlighten us further
That's good to hear my tip is in next week for a new RMS.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 65121

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GT3161
Back