Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Warrenties (Allocation of blame)

smtk

Hypothetically say;

Garage A tried to fix a problem on your car and the warranty company paid out but they didn’t fix the problem.

Garage A then tried to fix it again warranty company paid out and they didn’t fix the problem.

Garage B spent some time working out the problem and then successfully fixed it (it was a very illusive problem) but the warranty company now wont pay out siting Garage A should pay for it

Garage A cry foul because they said its a hard problem to solve and garage B was working off garage A backs (even though Garage B actually did all their own checks). Garage A said problems like this are ‘trail and error’ that one warranty companies/customers should pay for.

Who should be refunding my claim or paying for it? I’m pretty sure I know who’s at fault but I would like your opinion

Thanks simon

Migration info. Legacy thread was 64841

Do you think up gameshow questions for a living? :wink:

I'll go for Garage A are at fault. However, I think the customer should have taken it back to Garage A to try to resolve the problem. If they did not, should then have asked permission to go to Garage B.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 64843

Hmmm....general principal as far as I'm concerned would be..

....garage A should have been given a reasonable chance to put the fault right. Having failed to do this, you would normally have to notify garage A, of their failure & your intention to use garage B and your intention to have garage A pick up any costs not covered under warranty. It would also be correct to notify the warranty company of this intention & seek their concurrance.

Logically the warranty company should pay B & seek to recover any costs it sees fit from A.

Unfortunately logic rarely intervenes in these circumstances..

Migration info. Legacy thread was 64845

As i see it Garage A had 2 cracks at the whip and bindly changed stuff. Even their invoices make no sense of what they did...

Migration info. Legacy thread was 64846

Did Garage A think they fixed it after the 2nd visit? If so how did the fault reappear?

Did you tell A that the problem was still there after 2 visits? What was their reaction/ proposal?

Or did you just take it to B without telling A or the wtee co. that the problem was not fixed.

BTW what was the fault?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 64872

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by smtk on 29 June 2006

As i see it Garage A had 2 cracks at the whip and bindly changed stuff. Even their invoices make no sense of what they did...
I have a quote from the Office of Fair trading that says they should be given 4 chances to fix the problem. After that you can start asking for money back!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 64878

Thing is garage A wants paying for each visit.

The problem was the engine check light that kept coming on and 02 sensors that garage A kept changing. Both times the engine check light came on when driving home from the garage. Which just made me think Garage A were useless

I even explained exactly when the error would come on i.e. when cruising and idling despite telling garage A that, when I picked it up they told me

"We took it out and gave it a good trashing and its fine"

It turns out it wasn’t the sensors it was a fault in the wiring loom. The sensor to looses power when you’re just cruising along or idling and starts reporting errors, but when you drive hard the heat from the exhaust keeps the sensor alive

Also it was found by garage B that the one of the O2 sensors was in fact the wrong one! Some one had to have cut down the colour coded plug in order to make it fit into the wrong socket. Leafing through my cars history in the last 3 years it has had O2 sensors from 3 garages however no part numbers were in those invoices for me to trace the culprit though looking at it the sensor it’s rather new looking….

Frankly I don’t think Garage A see that they haven’t done anything wrong and that getting you to pay x2 to get a job done is a fine working practice.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 64883

I don't like this A & B stuff!! How about naming names - A being the bad guys not to take your car to and B - the good guys we all want to know about and use.

Jo

Migration info. Legacy thread was 64888

Right - this is not sounding very hypothetical. Names.

Plus, Si what has happened to your sig - a red cross is not too good, especially for an IT person!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 64909

Could you do a "Dear Dierdre" style photo montage, a la News of the World?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 64924

sorry guys just trying to give them a chance to set things right. Plus i dont know what 'name and shame' rules we have on here, so i dont want to be on the worng side of the mods.

Waited all afternoon for them to return my call but they didnt. I'll have to check to see if they are open saturday..

Migration info. Legacy thread was 65052

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back