Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

911 3.2 Carrera as a daily driver

wasteland

time has come for me to get a 911.

think I've settled on one of the last 3.2s with the g50 box. (don't fancy 964 size bills!!) and can't stretch to a 993.

anyone using a 911 of this age as a daily driver in all weather.

would welcome comments about general practicality heaters de-icing etc....

Also any comments about whether

www.911virgin.com

www.eporsh.co.uk

www.strasse.co.uk

ae worth a look as dealers???

cheers

peter

Migration info. Legacy thread was 64702

Hello and welcome.... where in Cheshire are you?

I have a 3.2 targa and I love her to bits. Don't driver her daily as I have another car, but with the heater playing up, any long drive is uncomfortable with the roof on.

Good luck in your quest!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 64707

I'm in hale/alty.

Who do you get to do your servicing etc?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 64708

HiI'm sure some people do use theirs daily, but not for me. Much as I love her it is not the best car for use in heavy traffic or in the winter with the less than perfect heaters. Having said all that its a fantastic weekend car, cheap to own and run, and looks fabulous.

Good luck.

Gaz

Migration info. Legacy thread was 64710

If you love driving, daily is fine. I did for 6 years.

Only bummer is lack of aircon in hot summer jams, but what did we all do before aircon?

Go for it!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 64715

I see your 3.2's were targas how did you get on with leaks? - they seem to have a mixed reputation...

Migration info. Legacy thread was 64716

I use mine as a daily driver frequently and would highly recommend it as it's so easy to drive (especially with the G50 gearbox), it turns heads and it makes me grin.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 64718

Targas are fine, as long as they fit properly. To replace or repair are not too expensive- £100's not £1000's which can be done every few years. Check the carpets, if rotted then has been lots of leaks, if dry should be ok.

Only downside with them is high speed wind noise and possible rattles or squeaks. The better fitting the quieter. But wind noise shouldn't be a problem below 70 or 80 at least.

Targas are slightly cheaper than coupes (maybe a £1000 or 2) but the look is personal preference. I think they are brilliant and would have one again in a shot!

Finally don't buy a 911 for resale. Buy it because you like it. And buy a good one!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 64722

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by wasteland on 27 June 2006

I'm in hale/alty.

Who do you get to do your servicing etc?
Not far from me then.... I'm in Cheadle

I use 9M.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 64723

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by wasteland on 27 June 2006

I see your 3.2's were targas how did you get on with leaks? - they seem to have a mixed reputation...
When I got mine 4 years ago I had the targa refurbed. Sometimes it leaks sometimes it doesn't. :?
I think it all depends on how you put the roof back on, maybe it sits against the rubbers differently.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 64724

i used my 3.2 daily for 18 months - through snow and sun - it didnt miss a beat, but in summer without aircon it did get almost unbearable - we even took it to our local ski area - :D
, but it did look "different" parked next to all the 4x4's....... 8)

As far as heating on my car the heater was fierce - within 3 minutes of starting it up on a cold Swiss winter morning i had plenty of heat

go for it - you wont regret it.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 64725

IMHO they do stand up well to daily useage, with the benefit of your arms and legs getting a regular workout - also agree that the heating is an all-or-nothing affair - recommend targa or cabriolet for the fresh air factor. For: Surprisingly comfortable, street presence, depreciation proof, involving drive, constant smile on the faces of yourself and most onlookers. Against - budget for a clutch job / brake overhaul / tyres each year if you're going to clock up the miles, and be aware that you'll love it so much you'll be afraid to let it out of your sight. Go for it - you will not be disappointed.

I bought mine from one of the guys on your list - pm me for an honest opinion

cheers, Alex

Migration info. Legacy thread was 64727

Echo the comments above about the smiles!
I used a 3.2 1988 Guards red for 3 years as a replacement for a company car.
My only breakdown was a fuel pump failure - happily just as I pulled into a friends drive.
Bullet proof starting even in freezing conditions - and the heater warms up quicker than a water one.
Visits to customers became a delight and I was often given preferential parking by attendants.
Heat in summer is less of a problem if the heating/ventilation/sunroof is working as it should, but I had a very sore leg on a very hot day when the drivers side heat would not switch off!
Easiest fix I had was to renew all the bullet fuses (they corrode and set up resistance to the fuel system computer)- it cured a misfire and improved performance all round.
Negatives..
Hard to find a parking space with low risk sometimes - risk = door bangs, keying, other vandalism.
Petrol consumption 22 to 26 to the gallon.
Worry about driving it on roads covered in salt in winter. We dont have snow and ice often in the south of England but salt is still spread quite often.
The usual traffic light grand prix starts by underpowered hatchbacks.
Some dual carriageway overtake blocking by jealous drivers.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 64734

Hi Peter

I'm curious as to what you mean by 964 size bills? I only ask as i'm looking at buying a 964 C4 as a daily.

Will

Migration info. Legacy thread was 64737

Definitely! I ran a 3.2 as a daily, and loved every minute. Depends of course on what sort of daily use it would have...

I reckon if you get a well sorted 964 it wouldn't cost you any more to run- the main issues e.g. leaky heads and flywheel will have been sorted already, and IMO the 964 is a better daily driving proposition.

Also, the undeserved reputation of the 964 means you get better car £ for £ than a 3.2 or a 993.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 64745

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
911tt1
Back