Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

early 996 questions

Diesel130

Hi - some questions for all you experts ...

1) I'm looking to buy an early 996 C2. Noticed that many have 18" turbo alloys. Do they give a significant improvement (apart from looks) over the standard 17" and, if so, how much do they cost if I end up buying a 17"er.

2) Also, is a (very) small amount of oil around the sump normal. Car has had RMS replaced 18months ago.

3) Is it normal for the 996 car to make a loud rattle from the engine for 1 to 2s on startup (garage said it was chain tensioners or something)

4) Is it normal for the clutch to feel heavier than a 'normal' car (e.g VW Golf etc).

Thanks ...

Migration info. Legacy thread was 64549

I'm getting a bad vibe from this car you're looking at.

1) IMO you need the 18s on a 996 just from an asthetic point of view.

2) I'm no expert, but I would treat any oil leak on a 996 with extreme suspicion, however small.

3) Again, I'm no expert, but loud engine rattles are not a good sign.

4) Mines a tip, but the clutch on the 996 manuals I have driven didn't feel that much heavier than normal cars. Smoother and more solid perhaps.

Only way to be sure is an independent check. I would buy one without this.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 64552

He means "wouldn't buy" not "would buy".

Migration info. Legacy thread was 64553

Thanks Jay - so on intial start up does your 996 _not_ make a really loud rattle ?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 64556

I think lots of 996 rattle on start up. Mine does and every time I have been in the OPC dealer and they are moving cars around they sound the same.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 64557

Mine sounds like a bucket full of nails on startup, especially when the weather's cold :?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 64558

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by ian_uk on 26 June 2006

He means "wouldn't buy" not "would buy".
Correct :oops:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 64559

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Diesel130 on 26 June 2006

Thanks Jay - so on intial start up does your 996 _not_ make a really loud rattle ?
Not what I would call a rattle. However after some of the other feedback here, I think I'll just go and double check.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 64560

Thanks re the rattle - that's good that they all sound the same. Just the oil leak to check out now. I'm hoping that if the RMS has been done 18 months ago it won't need doing again.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 64562

Diesel,

To check the engine rattle noise.. start the car up from cold turn it off then almost immediately (a couple of secs) then start it back up, if the noise is still there, it is not normal and you need to get this checked..

As Rob J says my car (GT3) also sounds a bit like an old dishwasher when i first start it up however if i follow the above procedure the noise disappears not sure of the technical explanation but i know this is normal.

...rob

Migration info. Legacy thread was 64570

engine noise.... that will be the effect of water cooling ! always a bit harsh when cold, but that's very normal....

but if it sounds like a massy fergerson after that, then you got more of a problem !!

as for the wheels/tyres, with the current trend for 17's any switch to 18's is quite cheap due to a good supply of wheels, it's the tyres that cost... which have to be Porsche N spec only !

Migration info. Legacy thread was 64576

Very heavy clutch indicates a £600 bill for a new one. Later (and replacement) clutches are considerably lighter to use. Generally go in multiples of 40,000 miles unless you are very very gentle and drive like a saint (bet you all thought I was going to type hairdresser then)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 64577

Peter, It's done 65K and no paperwork to suggest a replacment clutch - so i guess its due one soon. Anyone any experience of whether replaced RMS go again after such a short time - I thought when they were replaced the design was improved so it didn't happen again ?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 64579

Had my clutch replaced after 20,000 miles and the difference was amazing. I can't believe how light it is now.

Having had an RMS replaced 18 months ago, unfortunately doesn't mean it is cured once and for all. There are plenty of cars which have had multiple RMS failures. Porsche (quote) hope they have solved it now by fitting the 997 RMS and with the latest version of the seating tool. Another common failure is the intermediate shaft seal.

If you change 17" wheels to 18" the cost will depend very much on whether you get original wheels or replica/aftermarket ones (OEM will cost at least £2,000) Then there's £800 or more for a set of tyres.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 64581

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Jay T on 26 June 2006

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Diesel130 on 26 June 2006

Not what I would call a rattle. However after some of the other feedback here, I think I'll just go and double check.
Nope, no rattles here.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 64583

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mchass
Back