Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Impending doom or neurotic fool...

Bud Fox

Montreal
Having read this months article about early 996 engines in T911 should I be concerned by the following.

Page 99
Cracked Liners: " You may notice a tiny amount of coolant loss"
"Lumpy Idle" = Varioram Hydraulic mechanism failure

I've just had to top up my coolant!
And occassionally when I pull up to traffic lights or stop rev counter will dip below 900rpms for a split second, go back to normal, dip again then settle at normal between 900 and 1000. :eek:

Is there an easy and economical way to check this out or do I just wait for the big bang? Or am I being a neurotic fool worrying because I read something in a magazine, just like Daily Mail readers worrying because they read it in the paper and therefore it's going to happen!![ :) :)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 64522

I've just had to top up my coolant, but don't appear to have any leaks and no engine problems were evident on a diagnostic.

I had the "lumpy idle" issue which turned out to be a variocam failure. Quite an expensive fix, however my symptoms were more of a constant (bone shaking), lumpy idle rather than dipping. You will normally also notice a loss of power as one of more of your cylinders may not be operating.

The easiest way to check for problems is to get your car hooked up to a diagnostic computer. An indy shouldn't charge too much for this.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 64525

If you are worried get it checked, however, I am not sure if there is much that can be done. May be a good time to get a warranty though (if you have not got one!).

Migration info. Legacy thread was 64527

Thanks Jay.
I've just had the car serviced and nothing was mentioned, however I don't know if the diagnostics were checked or not, but I shall endeavour to find out.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 64528

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by So Poo on 26 June 2006

If you are worried get it checked, however, I am not sure if there is much that can be done. May be a good time to get a warranty though (if you have not got one!).
Yup, warranty covered my Variocam issue, and would also cover cracked liners.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 64529

Hi So-Poo

I've just got the warranty from where I got the car (Autobahn). Whether it's worth the paper it's written on though is another matter!!
I've just had the car serviced with them and I would assume they would let me know if any big faults.
Unless of course they know about it and don't want to tell me as they know the warranty runs out at the end of July and then I'll have to cough up muchos muchos dollar for the work instead of them.

Or I am getting a little paranoid!!! :? :?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 64530

Matt,

I also got mine from Autobahn, when the warranty ran out I put the Porsche one on it, as it is better (i.e. covers rms to start with). I am pretty sure their warranty does cover the engine, but might not cover all the labour, Autobahn were very good about fixing a few little problems I had.

Try not to be paranoid, if you are unsure take it back to them and get them to have a look.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 64531

Common wisdom seems to be that if you have a 996 you need to also get an OPC warranty as well. It is the one thing that is putting me off considering a 996.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 64608

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Autocraft1
Back