Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

MkII GT3 test drive + warranty q's

Dunc

Due to a distinct lack of Mk1s up here I decided to take out a Mk2 which is at a nearby OPC.

What an awesome engine! Found it very tractable and sounded real good - quite a howler. Easily the most impressive 996 i've driven and far more of an event than a TT. Feels very planted as well, though bumpy roads had it writhing around and with a couple of months of no Porsche driving I found this a bit nervy and had to back off.Don't think its a car for b road bashing - just as my M030'd 993 wasn't - as its too jumpy. I'd imagine it would take a bit of driving to gain confidence in the wet but wouldn't be daunted by just driving it moderately in adverse conditions.

Generally very impressed at what is the best 911 i've driven by some margin (imho).

Asked the salesman about tracking the car and warranty cover and he was very much of the opinion that you're fully covered as you can do as much damage to the car on road if you try hard enough!

Dunc

Migration info. Legacy thread was 62948

So Dunc, when will you be collecting it? What spec was it CS or comfort?

From what I've felt driving in the wet & damp requires you to be sensible. Based on experiences at Llandow when it was wet/damp it seems the GT3 is more planted than the standard C2's. Seagull was following me & had his yellow TC lights blinking permanently around a couple of bends, when the GT3 felt totally secure. The only "interesting" moments I've had have been 1st or 2nd gear & a little too much right foot in the damp.

Seems another one is coming over to the dark side as some on here would call it :twisted:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 62952

Rob, I'd love to say that i'm picking it up but I'm going all sensible and think its too far out of budget. The car in question is an 04 and is £65k.I'm more inclined towards a Mk1 in the low £40k's.

As far as use in the wet I can only imagine that its well enough set up so that it's not a death trap just demands a wee bit of respect! Today was obviously warm and dry and the car had loads more pace available than I was using what with the new car / roads combo.

I'm very impressed though and if I could I would and I'd have it out and about as soon as, afraid I'll have to be patient aaaarrgh!!

Dunc

Migration info. Legacy thread was 62956

Oh yeah, its a comfort spec but had the buckets - very supportive!

Dunc

Migration info. Legacy thread was 62957

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Dunc on 09 June 2006

Rob, I'd love to say that i'm picking it up but I'm going all sensible and think its too far out of budget. The car in question is an 04 and is £65k.I'm more inclined towards a Mk1 in the low £40k's.

I'm very impressed though and if I could I would and I'd have it out and about as soon as, afraid I'll have to be patient aaaarrgh!!

Dunc

£65k seems high, but guess if it was from an OPC. Shop around you should be able to get one for a lot less than that in decent nick. For reference paid a bit south of £60k for mine last September, from a non-Porsche dealer, with 14 months porsche warranty left, new tyres all round, xenons, carbon pack, 10k on clock, 53 plate. Haven't had any problems with it, fingers crossed. Only supposed unpopular things were colour (red) and sports seats (not buckets), but both suited me.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 62959

At leat Red's a bit of a change for a 996 as there ain't many about in Gaurds. One slightly disappointing thingf about the car I drove was its appearance was low key in silver. I generally prefer a bit of subtlety but think the GT3 maybe needs a bit of a difference from all the other 911s around.

There was a customer's Mk1 GT3 in speed yellow outside the OPC and it looked and sounded awesome - sports exhaust and rear spoiler adjusted into some downforce angle looked every bit the racer! Anyone on here? If so - respect!!

Dunc

Migration info. Legacy thread was 62963

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Dunc on 09 June 2006

Oh yeah, its a comfort spec but had the buckets - very supportive!

Dunc
be careful with those nomex seats, they may be fire retardent but they wear quicker than leather seats...

Migration info. Legacy thread was 62997

Sundeep

what sort of price is a nomex seat or can they be recovered in nomex

Dick

Migration info. Legacy thread was 63025

GT3's IMHO are the best 996 porsche made,

they make turbos seem tame

red line one in 2nd gear,

if thats not the best feeling youve ever had in a Porsche I'll eat my hat

if you want a weekend car then its got to be a GT3

but so many people dont know or understand because post OPC salesman dont understand them

GT3 V 997 C2s,

The main dealers will sell u a 997,

But the GT3 is THE Car

And one of my customers can get 38 MPG from his

Migration info. Legacy thread was 63082

daz does the GT3 have PSM? :p

sorry couldn't resist

Migration info. Legacy thread was 63088

I also have a yearning for a F355, whats going on,

Smtk, :|

LOL

Migration info. Legacy thread was 63089

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Speed Freak on 10 June 2006
I also have a yearning for a F355, whats going on,
Smtk, :|

LOL
and you don't like Porsche service bills :D

Just go get a gt3 :twisted:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 63090

All i seem to do in my spare time is look at GT3's on pistonheads and Autotrader,

I am getting really sad

Even wondered what the payments would be for a brand new one, then thought better of it, when I realised that I could get myself in a gallardo for less.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 63100

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Speed Freak on 10 June 2006

I am getting really sad
"getting" - my wife reckons anyone who spends as much time on forums as we do is already there! :wink: :eek:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 63138

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlas.997
Back