Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Porsche warrant

Travis Green

My boxter S is 2 years old this week. I was looking to extend the warranty for 1 year for approx £800 but learned that there are loads of exlcusions on the extended warranty. I don't see a point in the warranty if it covers parts that virtually never give up (the porsche centre I spoke to confirmed they had never replaced a transmission before, for example - I'm happy with those odds). Any thoughts? Anything in the extended warranty worth covering for £800?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 61418

The engine is the big one - also on the 996 there is the RMS - not sure if this effects Boxsters.

I have mine just for the engine really.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 61421

RMS affects Boxsters too so one of those would cost almost the same as the warranty.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 61423

Rear Main oil seal

£600 odd to fix,

worth renewing the warranty in my opinion

Migration info. Legacy thread was 61428

Thanks for the input. I think I am tending to agree

Migration info. Legacy thread was 61438

My warranty has just more than paid for itself with a repair to a faulty camshaft adjuster. OPC recons I would have been looking at an invoice for £1300 without it. Apparently not an uncommon fault.

Will definately be renewing ...

Migration info. Legacy thread was 61441

Very interesting. I'm a bit of an odds-man myself (I don;t have any household Insurance etc but rather put some money into a savings accoutn each month). I paid a premium to get a newer car (1.5 yrs at the time) so I guess in my mind that in itself is a kind of Insurance ie what are the chances of something severe happening to a 2yr old car? At 4 yrs I would almost certainly renew it . . . at 2yrs, its seems to be in a bit of a grey area to me (and admittedly I know nothing on the subject) in terms of likelihood that something severe goes wrong

Migration info. Legacy thread was 61445

From what I've read on this and other forums there doesn't really seem to be a hard and fast age or milage correlation with respect to RMS and engine problems.

As you can see from above, Seagulls 03 Targa has already fallen foul of the dreaded RMS.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 61447

And Daz's 03 C4S RMS
Also hopefully 2 new radiators next couple of weeks.
Also Horn.

Total cost of wtty work undertaken to date £800
As of next month approx £2000

Migration info. Legacy thread was 61448

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Speed Freak on 30 May 2006

As of next month approx £2000
Is this wishfull thinking, or have you had some good news at last?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 61451

I hope for the best, however I realise that it is touch and go.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 61456

ok, fair points. Thats the kind of info I was looking for. Mine is 04, 03 is a bit close fo comfort. Warranty it is then!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 61466

Travis, look at the warranty in 2 ways

1 its not really worth the paper, anything you get done for free is a bonus! but RMS is covered thankfully quibble free.

2 however if s**t hit the fan and something bad goes wrong the warranty should back you up, as long as you haven't abused your car, (they can tell this from your ECU)

Also the cost of renewing your warranty when ever you decide to renew may end up costing you £££ before they agree to put it back under warranty.

Its not all doom and gloom, there are some good OPCs as well as some bad ones, where will you be using?

...rob

Migration info. Legacy thread was 61488

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by mark pearce on 30 May 2006

Rear Main oil seal

£600 odd to fix,

worth renewing the warranty in my opinion
£625 + VAT at OPC Tonbridge so £734 inc. although they're fairly confident they've got it right with the latest seal/seating tool - time will tell.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 61500

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gnducharme
Back