Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Coolant Levels

Bud Fox

Montreal
Hi Guys.

The warning light on my temperature guage started to flash yesterday. The manual suggests it could be the coolant level but what should I top it up with? The man @ Porsche Mayfair said I should just top it up with water, but this doesn't sound so good to me. Does anybody have any idea what should be used??

Migration info. Legacy thread was 61283

Normally you would buy coolant, and at this time of year, you then mix the coolant with water 4 parts water to 1 part coolant.

However considering how large the cooling system is, I think it holds approx 30 litres of coolant and water, adding a couple of litres of water till you get some coolant is fine.

Hope this helps

Daz

Migration info. Legacy thread was 61284

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Shed17 on 29 May 2006

Whats coolant? :wink: :D :D :D :D :D
In your case William, some of it's free and some is about £45 per gallon :wink:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 61331

William see, your car up for sale on PH, you will take a 3200 in part ex,

Are you mad?

They are terrible.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 61332

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Speed Freak on 29 May 2006
William see, your car up for sale on PH, you will take a 3200 in part ex,
Are you mad?
They are terrible.

Daz,

Not that mad! It is the 4200 that I am interested in. Reliability aside think they look superb :D

Have decided that as I am having to get a tip, I want to get something as far away from the driving experience of the 993 and a GT, possibly a cab fits the bill otherwise I will be constantly comparing with the 993, that ultimately I don't want to sell :(

Migration info. Legacy thread was 61338

Thanks v much Daz. Do Porsche have an "official" coolant or can I just get the regular stuff from Halfords?

Hope you all had a great weekend tracking and there were no tears???

Migration info. Legacy thread was 61348

use porsche coolant from opc or vw coolant not any old stuff from halfords the current coolant we are using is red/pink in colour.keep an eye on the level constant loss of coolant may mean a leak from the rads ,hoses or header tank

Migration info. Legacy thread was 61353

if you did have a leak, can you use the stop leak stuff as found in Halfords?

eg, BARS Leaks

and Wynns Stop Leak?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 61602

cheers, that saves me thinking about buying any of that then.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 62326

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Sid Spanner on 29 May 2006

use porsche coolant from opc or vw coolant not any old stuff from halfords the current coolant we are using is red/pink in colour.keep an eye on the level constant loss of coolant may mean a leak from the rads ,hoses or header tank

So does the red/pink just mean any G12 coolant/antifreeze will do e.g. Mobil advanced ? :?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 83935

I think you can put water just to get you home or to the OPC and then you must get the Coolant refilled. Happened to me once, I had to put about 2 litres of water into the car!! I got home, called Porsche Assistance and had the car taken to my OPC on a flat bed truck, They drained the coolant completely, checked for leaks - found a pipe connection or something underneath the drivers seat area, they ensured the pipe was connected and refilled the coolant.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 83940

Another question for Sid - since you are a professional, has there been any TSB's for the base 997? My car is a 2005 and so far I have had no issues, no recalls or TSB's either.....It was manufactured in February or March last year....can post the VIN if you need.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 83942

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Gary Jones on 22 October 2006
Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Sid Spanner on 29 May 2006 use porsche coolant from opc or vw coolant not any old stuff from halfords the current coolant we are using is red/pink in colour.keep an eye on the level constant loss of coolant may mean a leak from the rads ,hoses or header tank
So does the red/pink just mean any G12 coolant/antifreeze will do e.g. Mobil advanced ? :?

[/i:vhB1r67WQH]

That's what I'm using as it's Porsche approved. I must find out whether it's the cap that's leaking or something more serious :(
Migration info. Legacy thread was 83953

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GT3161
Back