Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 Engine Conspiracy Theory

Tiptronic

Banned
Ok here it goes,

I find it highley unlikley that there is no major problem with the 996/997/boxster engine, re RMS and especially the cylinder walls.

So how are Porsche keeping it out of the press and out of court.

My theory is that everyone who experiences this on a Porsche is made up of the following groups:-

1. People who purchased brand new from OPC
2. People who purchased second hand from OPC
3. People who purhcased second hand from indie with FSH
4. People who purchased privately with FSH
5. People who purchased privately/auction etc with nothing.

So I believe that people in the firist 2 groups will probably have been looked after by Porsche in the first 4 years, and if they retain the car thereafter without the ext wtty (unlikley) they probably get a goodwill claim which pacifies them.

However I bet people in groups 1 & 2 who didnt receive this and took it to the final legal steps, probably got a settlement and a non disclourse agreement.

People in group 3 and 4 much more difficult, I think most give up, however I would imagine the few that took it to the steps of the court (whatever country) esp cars with FSH, suddenley also get a settlement from Porsche and non disclourse agreement.

People in group 5 get nothing, havent a leg to stand on, and probably wouldnt be wealthy enough to pursue legal action, otherwise they would have purchased with FSH from 1 of the first 4 groups.

So put it simply I find it inconceivable that no one has ever taken Porsche to court over this issue, however I have yet to hear of it from any forum, unless someone tells me otherwise.

My theory put simply, is someone with a FSH car with an engine failure, up to say 7 years old, without wtty will be looked after as long as they take Porsche to court, and the vast majority dont, swallow the problem, because either they cant affort legals or they dont think they can win, the few that do I would imagine get settled by Porsche.

Porsche I would imagine are playing the percentage game with this problem, probably because it is cheaper than either admiting to the problem or being sued in court over it.

This is all a theory I have no proof and do not put it forward as fact in any way.

Daz

Migration info. Legacy thread was 55504

I like conspiracy theories Daz, though I have yet to hear of anyone who has actually won such a case. Even with disclosure agreements, it seems unlikely that we would never have heard of this happening.

There obviously is a major problem re RMS / engine etc, and the service guy at the OPC yesterday appeared to be quite open about these sorts of common failures in 996s as we discussed my warranty coverage. Had we been discussing buying a car however, probably not so ...

Migration info. Legacy thread was 55507

It is amazing that stories have never made it into the more promanent press. There may be some merit in what you are saying Daz!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 55514

Jay,

I understand what you are saying, but I find it very odd that there is no record of somone taking Porsche to court over this and either wining or losing,

Perhaps some of the legals on the forum can enlighten me.

Daz

Migration info. Legacy thread was 55515

Right, I see your point.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 55517

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Speed Freak on 26 April 2006

Jay,I understand what you are saying, but I find it very odd that there is no record of somone taking Porsche to court over this and either wining or losing,Perhaps some of the legals on the forum can enlighten me.Daz
Non-disclosure agreements wouldn't be unusual for something like this. I think from a press perspective it's also non-news. There are no safety issues involved. Who cares if a bunch of rich kids have to pay extra to get their cars repaired. There is no obvious British competitor to benefit from Porsche's misfortune.

If it really is a congenital defect then the course of action you've outlined Daz would make perfect sense, for a non-safety related issue.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 55518

You'll have boys in black cars pulling up to wisk you away if you continue with this line of thought mate.

Actually I did like the film Conspiracy Theory hmmm haven't seen that in ages .. wonder how much ones going for on e-bay :wink:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 55522

TO GENERALISE
rather the press and watchdog et al aren't that interested in owners with expensive supercars who's engines develop regular faults, as the humble TV viewer would consider it as if you can afford to spend £££££'s then you can afford some more........ and they would probably say try owning a tin can TVR that is always breaking down and that's without any technology........ watchdog's et al are great at chasing that lost £'s but if enough people complain then it gets raised but in the case of the Audi TT electronics failures it took several HUNDRED owners over 4 years before it was enough for Watchdog to investigate............ at the end of the day AND TO GENERALISE AGAIN Porsche always have the 'if you have a our waranty and FSH you're covered line' and for those who don't have a FSH and our warranty it's not really our problem

although easiest way to get to and control the press is to bribe them and of course they have memories like a goldfidh and would risk lossing loans of Porsche cars.... so consider the above, from someone who has worked within the media industry.......

So a conspiracy, sadly not, just the work of corporations :(

Migration info. Legacy thread was 55525

Its getting deeper,

however I still believe them to be caputulating re courts, otherwise they would have a mass action suite on their hands which could be back dated, and cost millions.

Daz

Migration info. Legacy thread was 55532

Judging by the comments on Rennlist.com and Pelican.com forums, the USA owners get far better treatment due to the threat of a class action from owners. Much more seems to be covered by warranty in the USA.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 55542

Why dont we start two threads on here, where people can post whether they have suffered from RMS or Engine failure

See what the responses are, and then possibly challenge Porsche UK to look after people with the above issues better when the cars are out of wtty but have full FPSH.

Daz

Migration info. Legacy thread was 55543

Very interesting if you search the Rennlist 996 forum for RMS failure.......
There are 140 full pages of RMS TOPICS - thats topics - not individual messages!

/images/migration/UploadedForumImages/rennlist2.jpg

Migration info. Legacy thread was 55545

So what is stopping us having a better deal in the UK?

Daz

Migration info. Legacy thread was 55546

Apathy and 'get a warranty' brigade who will not care as they will sell their car before it gets to 9 years old.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 55588

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biel
Back