Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Drivers Air Vent

Parts

Banned
This is in a 996 (2001). I have changed the passenger air vent but am having problems with the drivers side. I can take out the light switch and remove the bolt behind it no problems.

However, the trim around the switch is connected to the electrics (to show the fog lamps are on). There is no socket to disconnect this on my side of the air vent. I am worried if I pull the air vent off that I may damage the light mechanism.

Does anyone know what is behind this unit?

Help appreciated.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 54258

Mine is a 2002 facelift but I bet they are the same.

I removed my light switch and vent this weekend to fit some alu-look dash strips.

Pull the big connector off the light switch and follow the four wires from the switch surround to the main loom and you will find an in-line connector which is small enough to pass back through the vent (mine had some foam around it)

Tip - the vent is easier to fit and remove from the dash if it is in the open position as the lever inside catches or pops off when you re-fit.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 54267

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Mark Greenwood on 18 April 2006

Pull the big connector off the light switch and follow the four wires from the switch surround to the main loom and you will find an in-line connector which is small enough to pass back through the vent (mine had some foam around it)
Is that once the vent is off. Or can you get to the main loom with it still on (sorry for the questions).

I am fitting black dash strips as well - didn't you have to take the centre dash trim off as well to do that?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 54274

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by So Poo on 18 April 2006
Is that once the vent is off. Or can you get to the main loom with it still on (sorry for the questions).

I am fitting black dash strips as well - didn't you have to take the centre dash trim off as well to do that?
Yes, pull the vent off and then you can fish through for the small in-line connector.

I had got a far as removing the side vents, instrument pod, horseshoe under the steering wheel and the strip near the ignition key when I realised I had been supplied with a LH drive set of strips! :(
so job stopped.

Tip 2. I also removed the plastic heater hose in the footwell (the centre section just pops out) and using a long flexible shafted screw driver (B&Q £5.99) with a T10 bit, gained access from the pedal area and used 2 fingers at the top to guide the bit onto the screw head.

There is no need to go down the destructive route as described on the RennTech forum.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 54384

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartynT
Back