Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Binding Front Brake

Simon A

Spa-Francorchamps
On a return journey from Lincs yesterday, when the car suddenly felt a bit sluggish, slow puncture (?), but it was not pulling to the left or right :?

Pulled over and examined all 4 corners and burnt my finger on the Off Side Front disc (lesson number one: never touch something that looks hot, because it probably is). Nursed the car to the nearest garage and after waiting for a while, found the water hose and disappeared in a cloud of steam (maybe not the best thing to do, but options were limited).
eventually made it back with regular checks on the way and all appeared to be fine.
Disc now a bit ‘blued’, but concerned about having damaged / ‘cooked’ the brakes.

Off to Steve
B
ull in Devizes for a check tonight – will update soon

Migration info. Legacy thread was 53008

Could be the corrosion behind the pad's backing plate causing the sticky brake, or even warped backing plate. Common problem with the car, had mine sorted for the same problem a while back.

BTW pouring cold water to a red hot brake's a bit risky??

Migration info. Legacy thread was 53026

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Butzi on 10 April 2006

Could be the corrosion behind the pad's backing plate causing the sticky brake, or even warped backing plate. Common problem with the car, had mine sorted for the same problem a while back.

BTW pouring cold water to a red hot brake's a bit risky??
I know - waited for things to cool first, but it was still too hot to touch. Maybe driving on salted roads over the winter has caused a problem. Hope that I don't have to replace the discs :roll:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 53027

I'm pretty sure if you had to replace disc, you'll need both sides replaced. If the disc is still ok you might get away with just sorting the caliper and new pads. (Burnt) Fingers crossed! :wink:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 53156

Steve
B
ull & Co have looked at the car and can find nothing untoward and have also driven it hard and tested the brakes as best they can.

Up on the ramp today for a closer inspection –
More to follow :lol:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 53390

Sometimes the backing may be just slightly warped, worsen when hot, so it may drive ok when brakes are cold but warps and binds when hot making it worse and worse. Let us know what they find!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 53404

Update/Conclusion
[/b:aYWztfPolg]

The problem only manifested itself when the brakes were dismantled.
Apparently the calliper plates were badly corroded and distorted (Butzi you were right!).

When the brakes were released the O/F pad was not able to move back and got jammed - although the disc is a bit blue, it's fine :D

Suffice to say that everything was given a good clean and reassembled. No parts needed, just 3½ hours labour.
The mechanic reckoned that the plates had not been cleaned since new, so I’ll be getting the rear ones done soon.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 54217

Good news then (except for the labour). Glad there was no damage done.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 54233

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cooper9000
Back