Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

GT3 bargain?

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Dunc on 07 April 2006

What do you make of this guys, its close to home - worth a look??

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4628616845&fromMakeTrack=true

Dunc

NO. It's either a stolen recovered or if a damaged Cat D there must have been extensive damage. The guy implies it's suffered accident damage this means it was not worth the insurers while to have the repairs done. Light panel damage he's having a laugh. Remember this was an 80k car new. Even now with that mileage should be worth around 50-55k, so you would be looking at the fat end of an awful lot of damage for an insurer to pay out the cars value. Wouldn't make any sense to Cat D a GT3 with only light panel damage.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 52761

sellor is probably a 17 kid looking to scam ebay

Migration info. Legacy thread was 52771

Its Cat D...say no more

Migration info. Legacy thread was 52777

seller has only 1 feedback too..........no pics either........all the warning signs are there!!!!!!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 52779

I thought it might be interesting to contact the guy to have a look at what kind of nick its in out of interest.

Does look tres dodgy though esp. without pictures. Is cat D a write off class?

Dunc

Migration info. Legacy thread was 52828

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Dunc on 07 April 2006

Does look tres dodgy though esp. without pictures. Is cat D a write off class?

Dunc
Q: Please could you tell me what Cat D means in a used car advert?A: It means the car has been written off in an accident.A Category C or D write-off is one that insurers consider unecomonical to repair but one that could, given enough time in the workshop, be repaired and returned to the road.Category A and B should never be returned to the road. A Category B write off is one that is so badly damaged it can only be used for the salvaging of spare parts, while a Category A is one that is sent to the crusher.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 52833

Hi Dunc

Cat D could be stolen recovered after payout, however, usually its because its deemed uneconomical to repair according to the Insurers, with high cost cars such as Porsche its usually because the costs are based on main dealer quotes to repair, and I think Porsche for instance won't repair a body shell, only replace it, this plus the labour charges push the costs sky high, hence a number of Cat D Porsches on the market. These are then bought by people outside of the OPC network and repaired much cheaper, therefore making it viable to still make some money over the initial cost of the car.....

Thats my understanding, could be wrong though, I am sure someone will point it out... :)

Cheers

Steve

Migration info. Legacy thread was 52834

sounds about right re bodyshells but light panel damage shouldn't need a bodyshell repair i would have thought

Migration info. Legacy thread was 52836

Yep, however, I would guess its pretty hard just to do the panels and not hit the bodyshell somewhere...the usual one then would be vandal damage..keying all the panels or something...costs still soon mount up with all the labour charges to dismantle and fit I would guess...

Cat D wouldn't put me off full stop, would want to see the before pictures for instance...had a Cat D GTO TT once that had a fire inside...had a lovely new leather interior...it was seriously cheap and no problem at all...

Migration info. Legacy thread was 52839

Sounds about right to me, now conceivably the guy could have spun the car and "lightly damaged" the rear, rear wings, doors, front wings & front bumper without damaging much else. In which case it would probably be written off as that would be a heck of a lot of work through a Porsche centre. Now assuming the guy has bought the car as a damaged write-off then had it repaired it almost certainly won't have been through a Porsche dealer, so how good is the work? Also I'm guessing you wouldn't be able to get any sort of porsche warranty on a Cat D.

Could be complety wrong it could after all have been stolen, had a minor scratch or dent that could be just sprayed over or pulled out, but this one does rather seem to pong a bit!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 52840

At that sort of money i would rather buy a mint Mk1, with history and provenance.

Daz

Migration info. Legacy thread was 52842

Well I just sent him a note to find out what specific damage it had suffered, any bets I won't get a response?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 52856

No Income Tax No VAT
No Money Back No Guarantee

Get my drift,

Daz

Migration info. Legacy thread was 52859

OI!!!!! Daz!!!!! feck all to do with me :D

Migration info. Legacy thread was 52861

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members