Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

RMS when does it occur?

Mato911

Just a question to those who have really investigate the RMS problem...

Let's say that your car (996) is two years old has around 18,000km and has never had any RMS issues before. Considering the above is it correct to assume that this engine will never suffer RMS ?

Appreciate your advice

Mathew

Migration info. Legacy thread was 51126

I'll leave it to the other guys to correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think there are any hard and fast rules to guarantee that a 996 will be safe from these issues during its lifetime.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 51128

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted on 28 March 2006
Just a question to those who have really investigate the RMS problem...
Let's say that your car (996) is two years old has around 18,000km and has never had any RMS issues before. Considering the above is it correct to assume that this engine will never suffer RMS ?
Appreciate your advice
Mathew

Mine is 3 years old and 21k miles, and has just suffered its first failure.

From the extensive reading on the matter over the last couple of days, it could be the first of many.

Daz

Migration info. Legacy thread was 51130

i heard mention that if it reached 60k+ miles and wasn't an issue it would unlikey be one in the future...........could be waffle tho

Migration info. Legacy thread was 51132

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Speed Freak on 28 March 2006

Mine is 3 years old and 21k miles, and has just suffered its first failure.From the extensive reading on the matter over the last couple of days, it could be the first of many.Daz
Maybe thats a hint from above to trade it for that GT2!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 51134

On a personal level it has put me right off the car, as it isnt solved by replacement of the seal.

It only stops it for 1000 - 40000 miles.

I am now seriously considering going back to a 993C2 with a moded head from Ninemister and moded suspension/brakes or possibly a 993 RS or a 964RS.

Not sure at the moment, but I am dissapointed, I dont want to be looking over my garage floor for bloody oil leaks all the time from a £50k car.

Daz.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 51135

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by So Poo on 28 March 2006

Previous poster said:

Mine is 3 years old and 21k miles, and has just suffered its first failure.From the extensive reading on the matter over the last couple of days, it could be the first of many.Daz
You'll obviously get no sympathy here Daz :wink:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 51137

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by So Poo on 28 March 2006
Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Speed Freak on 28 March 2006[/i:B4UYzGjBnk]
Mine is 3 years old and 21k miles, and has just suffered its first failure.

From the extensive reading on the matter over the last couple of days, it could be the first of many.

Daz

Chris, all the water cooled engines suffer from it.

Daz

Migration info. Legacy thread was 51138

Daz, the GT2/3 engines don't have the same problem as they use different blocks (I think its the GT1 block with originate from 964/993 blocks).

So there's another reason to go for a GT3!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 51140

not the GT2 and turbo tho.........they not have different lumps in 'em

Migration info. Legacy thread was 51141

ok i'm a parrot :p

seriously tho Daz............my 993 has a bit of a weep from what appears to be its RMS......the service manager at the local OPC told me not to worry too much about and keep a check on the level........whn it needs a new clutch just attend to it then

Migration info. Legacy thread was 51144

Previous poster said:

Chris, all the water cooled engines suffer from it.Daz

Sorry to hear about your misfortune Daz, but I thought the GT2's, 3's, & turbo's were immune or was it just a lot less likely to have it happen?

Seems Henry wants 65k for the GT2 by the way.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 51145

Oh damn thats another parrot on the forum, I'll blame the time difference :oops:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 51147

BTW, just in caes you don't know, GT2/3 and turbo don't have the same problem! :wink: :D :p

Migration info. Legacy thread was 51148

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
993gtnut
Back