Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 C4S oil leak

Tiptronic

Banned
Ohh dear, noticed three small patches of very brown oil on the garage floor this morning.Havent had a chance to get under the car yet, however this is almost a sure sign of the RMS.Hopefully if it is RMS, my wtty will cover it.I just as well replace the clutch at the same time.Anyone been through this themselves with a car under ext wtty, any advice on prev exp appreciated.While the clutch is out, are there any mods that could be carried out, lightened flywheel etc.Daz

Migration info. Legacy thread was 51035

RMS is covered by the Porsche warranty

Clutch is about £350 ish plus vat

and fitting is free if the RMS is under warranty

Migration info. Legacy thread was 51040

Thanks for that info Mark, is it worth me putting an uprated clutch in, if such a thing exists?

Whats the quick way to tell if its RMS, as I look under it which side is it on drivers or passenger?

I realise that it may be a gasket, however I doubt it.

Daz

Migration info. Legacy thread was 51042

/images/migration/UploadedForumImages/RMS.jpg

This shows where the sweat/leak would originate from if RMS

Migration info. Legacy thread was 51045

Chears,

Heron

Have I spelt that right,

Daz.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 51048

is the arrow pointing to the gearbox engine join just in front of the back wheels,

Mine is leaking just on to the anti roll bar.

So if I leave it what ramifications am I possibly going to suffer, and if I take it to the OPC, will they insist on a fly wheel replacement also.

Daz

Migration info. Legacy thread was 51075

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Speed Freak on 27 March 2006

Chears,HeronHave I spelt that right,Daz.
3/5... :wink:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 51077

Hey guys, done a lot of research on the RMS tonight,

I still dont completley understand where the leak originates from inside the bell housing

Any pointers.

Daz

Migration info. Legacy thread was 51089

Dont worry, found what I needed.

What a pointless problem, they really shouldnt suffer from this.

Daz

Migration info. Legacy thread was 51091

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Speed Freak on 27 March 2006

What a pointless problem, they really shouldnt suffer from this.

Daz
You're right they shouldn't - but that's why we have a warranty!

Hope it gets sorted easily. :)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 51109

Daz, from what i understand, it's no biggie to run the car with RMS for a while until you do need a new clutch.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 51111

Really read into it last night, and the worst I can see if you leave it, is possible contmination of your clutch system, which everybody recomends that you replace during an RMS anyway.

I wonder if anyone knows if the clutch being contaminated by the oil from the RMS leak will lead to the clutch also being replace under wtty if shows no undue signs of wear.

Otherwise I am looking at £1000 for a clutch kit and flywheel.

Daz.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 51112

FWIW, if the leak from the RMS is only a weep, I dont think this will be enough to contaminate your clutch/flywheel, the oil should pass harmlessly between the crankcase and the flywheel, i supose it depends on how bad the leak is. If you are like me it will niggle you until it is fixed no matter how bad it is, good luck anyway.

Al.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 51139

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Porsche Die Hard
Back