Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 prices to fall???

David Ogle

Hi to everyone.

I have been looking to buy a 996 for quite a while but things keep coming up to raid the piggy bank before I can spend the money (wedding,baby,new house). I am finally in a position to join the 911 owners club, with the wifes approval! but am now worried that the 997 derivative launches will drive the prices down in the next 6 months or so. Question is, take the plunge now or hold on a bit longer? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 49723

The prices have already dipped a bit as the 997 have been out for a year now - if you are looking to get a 996 at around the 30k mark then I'm not sure prices will move massively in the next year (certainly not by the difference between a private sale and OPC prices already).

But to be honest, that's not really the point, if you can afford a 911 now - I would go for it - you won't regret it. Take the plunge! You could be holding on forever.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 49776

Hi David,

What 996 911 are you looking for? Some models may depreciate more than others..

...rob

Migration info. Legacy thread was 49797

Hi

Was looking at a 2002 C2 52 plate with 37k on the clock. Not the best spec car i've seen advertised but good history. Franchised dealer (non Porsche) took it in part exchange. Was asking 38950 and has dropped to 37500. Blue with black interior.

Thanks for the replies

David

Migration info. Legacy thread was 49821

Price sounds resonable, will depreciate, expect it to be worth £22k in 3 years time, trade with 70k miles on the clock.

Fact of life, worry about it and you will never buy one, if you want a safe bet invest in property, otherwise Porsches are just consumables just like everything else in life.

Daz

Migration info. Legacy thread was 49822

Daz,

I respect your opinion a lot from reading your other posts on this forum so please don't think this is a stupid question. Is £15k depreciation on the car mentioned in the thread genuinely likely? I thought most of that would have already occurred. If right then it is probably no better than my last Audi.

I know Porsches are not immune to depreciation and that in 3 yrs time it will be a 7 year old car but I would have hoped for better than this

David

Migration info. Legacy thread was 49919

Sorry should have mentioned that I would be unlikely to do more than 8k a year

David

Migration info. Legacy thread was 49920

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by David Ogle on 20 March 2006
Daz,
I respect your opinion a lot from reading your other posts on this forum so please don't think this is a stupid question. Is £15k depreciation on the car mentioned in the thread genuinely likely? I thought most of that would have already occurred. If right then it is probably no better than my last Audi.
I know Porsches are not immune to depreciation and that in 3 yrs time it will be a 7 year old car but I would have hoped for better than this
David

If you look at the equivalent car 3 years older, ie a 1999 C2 with 62k miles on the clock, you can pick those up now for as little as £24 - £26k,
If you were trying to part ex a 99 C2 with 62k miles on it, to an established dealer you would be getting bid approx £22k at the moment.
So my comment re the car you are looking at ie that £22k trade is a realistic price trade, I think is not far off, might be a little more because you are going to do small miles.

Sorry but they really do depreciate, some more than others, a good GT3 will hold its value better.

Daz

Migration info. Legacy thread was 49924

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Speed Freak on 20 March 2006

If you look at the equivalent car 3 years older, ie a 1999 C2 with 62k miles on the clock, you can pick those up now for as little as £24 - £26k,If you were trying to part ex a 99 C2 with 62k miles on it, to an established dealer you would be getting bid approx £22k at the moment.So my comment re the car you are looking at ie that £22k trade is a realistic price trade, I think is not far off, might be a little more because you are going to do small miles.
On the plus side David, you may get 24/25K for it privately, so may not be as bad as 15K. Although I have assumed that I will lose £15K over the first three years of ownership.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 49930

The current rate of depreciation that the 996 & Boxster variants are experiencing are due in the main to much higher production numbers than has ever happened in the past. These cars no longer hold the cache that their predecessors commanded and now fall into the realm of mass produced luxury car a la BMW & Mercedes which experience very high rates of depreciation.

Gone are the days of almost free Porsche motoring unless you start to look at certain high end 996 model variants, good 993's or some of the older 911's. Factor in the alleged engine and build problems and you have a recipe for falling prices.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 50398

I expect my 98 996 CAT D will depreciate to approx £15k in 2 years time, but as I have just paid £17k with a spare set of Turbo rims and a nice set of spit rims with new P Zero's on, I thought hang on, thats less depreciation than any Merc or BM can offer so balls to it, my first Porsche. The point I'm trying to make is there are some 996's around at the £22/£25k mark that won't loose that much on them in 2 years time?

PS love the forum, I am so green to the Porsche world, asking for used parts/salvage/info/tech data all over the place!!!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 50938

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
911tt1
Back