Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

2 or 4 Help!

neil barber

Searching for a (budget £26kish) 996 manual 98/99 model. Can anybody give pros and cons to 2 over 4 wheel drive?

Thanks

Migration info. Legacy thread was 48053

There ain't a massive difference between the two. I think the early C4s had different alloys. Suppose that there is potentially more to go wrong with the C4 from a pessimistic view.

Prior to buying a 993C4 i test drove both 2s and 4s finding the 2 marginally more crisp to steer but there ain't much in it. Test driving both is your best bet. I've only driven 2 wheel drive 996s and they felt grippier than a 993.

Just my opinion!

Dunc

Migration info. Legacy thread was 48057

If you are going to drive it all year then the 4 maybe your best bet as it is better in the wet. It is also slightly heavier.

Having said that I have a 2 and drive it all year round, can just get a bit interesting on the frosty days :D

Performance wise not sure most people would notice the difference - although the Stig got the C4 round the track faster than the C2!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 48062

2 everytime.

If I wanted a 4 wheel drive Id buy an Touareg v10

Migration info. Legacy thread was 48063

Welcome Neil!

More luggage space in the 2. Heavier steering feel in the 4. PSM (clever stability control) and clear indicators as standard on the 4.

Probably v little difference day to day between the 2. BBC Top Gear did a back to back track test of the 997 C2 and C4 and declared the 4 faster, but the 2 more fun.

Robert.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 48064

C4 would be a more easier car to control in poor conditions than a C2, a popular choice

they do drive very differently but if it was your 1st venture into the supercar world a C4 would be a good choice

buy the best car you can afford, it's a buyers market !

Migration info. Legacy thread was 48237

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Sundeep on 08 March 2006

buy the best car you can afford, it's a buyers market !
This is very true - I had the choice between a 2 and a 4 for the same price, but the four was a year older and had 10K more miles on it.

I went for the 2 as I do lots of miles and both were right at the top of my budget!

Buy the best you can!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 48310

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Sundeep on 08 March 2006

They do drive very differently but if it was your 1st venture into the supercar world a C4 would be a good choice

Unlike me …who bought a C2 with the factory sports pack and NO PSM on.

Great fun and it keeps you on your toes I can tell you.
Wouldn’t change a thing!!! :twisted:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 48313

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drthein
Back